Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Smiling face planetary alignment from downtown Bangkok, 2008.

Size9Hex

Back in 2008 I was stranded in Bangkok with many other folks while the airport was blocked by demonstrations. While I was there, I remember seeing a lovely view of the crescent moon smiling, with two stars above like twinkling eyes. Great to see, amid the buzzing tuktuks, stifling humidity, the smell of street food, and general chaos of an Asian metropolis.

Having taken more of an interest in the night sky recently, I wondered what I really saw. With a bit of sleuthing in Sky Safari, I was impressed with how quickly it showed me a coming together of Venus, Jupiter and the moon on 1st Dec 2008, which matches my photo, location, date and time exactly.

Appreciate these photos aren't exactly going to set the astro-imaging world alight, but thought they might be of general interest.

Sorry, took my a moment to figure out how to upload.

Three shots showing the smog, light pollution level, moon, Venus (left) and Jupiter (right). The planet shot was taken at street level in the midst of it all!

post-46508-0-05557400-1446592387_thumb.j

post-46508-0-15684300-1446592392_thumb.j

post-46508-0-30520800-1446592381_thumb.j

Archived