SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Portable eq mount recommendations?

Thalestris24

Hi all

I really need to get something together for imaging outside. Bearing in mind that I'm quite small and not very strong, it has to be easy to transport down two flights of stairs (and back up!) and fairly quick to set up (cos of the weather here...). One possibility is the Star Adventurer 'Astronomy Bundle'. Another one I'm looking at is iOptron Smarteq pro which seems to give quite a bit more for not much extra cost. I'm only thinking of a light payload - probably just a camera+lens+optional guidescope at first, maybe a small refractor later.

Andy ideas, suggestions, opinions much appreciated :)

Thanks

Louise

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at the iOptron for a small scope. Not sure if it is a case of things getting smaller but it was compact. For imaging with a camera and a small scope - thinking something like a WO 66 or 72 - probably OK. The one I had in mind was bigger but still within weight by 1/3 of the quoted loading, however I decided against putting it on.

The main aspect that put me off was not the actual mount but the tripod, it does not look substantial. I think the standard is 1.5", they do a 2" on the ZEQ25 and offer a 2.5" option (I think that is the sizes) but I cannot see an offer of a 2" for the SmartEQ. I suspect a 2" in the SmartEQ would be good and at the time I may have bought. Possibly ask Altair if they would upgrade the SmartEQ to a 2" along the lines of the ZEQ25 upgrade from 2" to 2.5".

Think Michael has one, he may be able to supply more information.

I have been debating it all for about 6 months now, still no nearer.

I looked at the iOptron for a small scope. Not sure if it is a case of things getting smaller but it was compact. For imaging with a camera and a small scope - thinking something like a WO 66 or 72 - probably OK. The one I had in mind was bigger but still within weight by 1/3 of the quoted loading, however I decided against putting it on.

The main aspect that put me off was not the actual mount but the tripod, it does not look substantial. I think the standard is 1.5", they do a 2" on the ZEQ25 and offer a 2.5" option (I think that is the sizes) but I cannot see an offer of a 2" for the SmartEQ. I suspect a 2" in the SmartEQ would be good and at the time I may have bought. Possibly ask Altair if they would upgrade the SmartEQ to a 2" along the lines of the ZEQ25 upgrade from 2" to 2.5".

Think Michael has one, he may be able to supply more information.

I have been debating it all for about 6 months now, still no nearer.

Hi Ronin

Thanks. Yeah, I think the SmartEQ tripod is a bit lightweight but maybe that's a good thing especially if it's only for a camera and lens+guidescope. It's the portability I want. Maybe adding a weight to the accessories tray might help it. I have an heq5 tripod - not sure if that could be adapted? I've been pondering over something more portable than I have for at least 9 months too... Now I find I have an urgent need to spend some money in the next few days!

Cheers

Louise

I like the SmarEQ mount, it is small and lightweight and would/should do what I want. Throw in car head out.

However the tripod was the one aspect that concerned me, I really was unsure of it, and as said there has never been mention of the option of going up to the next. I think you have to buy a polar scope for the SmartEQ. If so then if I got the polar scope and the next tripod up which at a guess is around £120 then the ZEQ25 is another £280 but has GPS built in and over double the load capacity.

I think if it was beefed up to carry 15lbs (7Kg) not 11lbs (5Kg) it would have been a better item and suited more scopes.

I want one to drop the Megrez 90 on to and get viewing. Maybe I need a Megrez 72. I have to make a choice, or wait until IAS in Oct and see what I think then, They do not appear often used also.

I like the SmarEQ mount, it is small and lightweight and would/should do what I want. Throw in car head out.

However the tripod was the one aspect that concerned me, I really was unsure of it, and as said there has never been mention of the option of going up to the next. I think you have to buy a polar scope for the SmartEQ. If so then if I got the polar scope and the next tripod up which at a guess is around £120 then the ZEQ25 is another £280 but has GPS built in and over double the load capacity.

I think if it was beefed up to carry 15lbs (7Kg) not 11lbs (5Kg) it would have been a better item and suited more scopes.

I want one to drop the Megrez 90 on to and get viewing. Maybe I need a Megrez 72. I have to make a choice, or wait until IAS in Oct and see what I think then, They do not appear often used also.

There's always something better if you're willing to pay a bit more! I'd be thinking in terms of drift aligning with PHD2 - I couldn't be bothered with a polar scope! More than anything, I want something I can easily carry down and up two flights of stairs... An eq5 Synscan Pro isn't much more costly than the SmartEQ but I think it would be just a bit heavy for me to carry. If I had a lift, I'd just take the AVX or HEQ5 Syntrek out!

Louise

Polarscopes are great I can align and be ready to go in 1 min and If portability is the key then the SA takes some beating.

Alan

Hiya

The smarteq pro looks pretty portable too - only 6.5kgs including tripod plus 1kg counterweight (not sure if it might need more than 1 counterweight). Seems manageable :)

Louise

Would the star adventurer (SA) give greater compatibility with what you already have.

Like possibly use the tripod (legs) from the heq5 you already have.

Plus if you added a handset later on would it not work both the heq5 and the SA?

Hi Louse

I suppose the choice depends a lot on how far you plan to travel if its very local then either would be good but I have seen lots of SA reports on SGL and not any negitive comments so far. The SA will need a decent tripod but there are a few cheaper options available that fold up very small.

Alan

Hi Louse

I suppose the choice depends a lot on how far you plan to travel if its very local then either would be good but I have seen lots of SA reports on SGL and not any negitive comments so far. The SA will need a decent tripod but there are a few cheaper options available that fold up very small.

Alan

Hi

Down the stairs and out of the door will do for a start! The SA has no DEC guiding which seems a limitation as the atmosphere here always causes guide star dec fluctuations... I'm not sure if the SA can be controlled by Stellarium/PHD2?

Louise

Would the star adventurer (SA) give greater compatibility with what you already have.

Like possibly use the tripod (legs) from the heq5 you already have.

Plus if you added a handset later on would it not work both the heq5 and the SA?

Hiya

Not sure about that. I think the smarteq is ascom compatible? If so, that's a plus! My Heq5 syntrek is mounted on a pedestal and I probably won't change that so the heq5 tripod is available, if a bit heavy. I think I prefer laptop control of things rather than hand controllers.

Louise

Try a PM to Michael Wilkinson - Moderator about example images.

As mentioned think he has a SmartEQ and he seems to do some imaging, I think it was Michael I asked about the SmartEQ a few months back, sort of 80% sure it was him.

One advantage of the SmartEQ is that you can later attach a small scope, something like a 66mm ED which would be well within it's capabilities. In the US the WO Zenithstar 71  was paired with the SmartEQ as a initial introduction to imaging setup.

May go visit Altair and see what they have to say, previous visit was to Tring and didn't go great as what was in at the time was a bit limited. Unable to compare therefore.

I dunno, having slept on it, maybe the smarteq pro is a bit too lightweight for imaging... There's always the eq5 pro, I suppose. Not sure how much the eq5 pro mount itself weighs - anyone know? Must be less than the heq5 which I know is too heavy for wee me to cart around. I wish there was something in between!

Louise

Does that mean that although you need something light enough for you to carry, you can make several trips?

James

Hiya

I'd probably have to make two trips though I have some lightweight lithium ion batteries which can power my AVX so would be fine for an eq5 pro :) I just have to get outside! Down the stairs and out of the door will do to start!

Louise

I had an ioptron zeq25, wanted a portable mount to use with my Tmb 115, I found this mount flimsy, and it did not work well with my scope. I sold it and purchased a celestron avx, I love this mount, it is a bit heavier, but easy to carry if you remove the counterwt.

For a quick setup, portable, accurate GEM, I find the AVX outstanding

My $ 0.02 worth

Mark

I had an ioptron zeq25, wanted a portable mount to use with my Tmb 115, I found this mount flimsy, and it did not work well with my scope. I sold it and purchased a celestron avx, I love this mount, it is a bit heavier, but easy to carry if you remove the counterwt.

For a quick setup, portable, accurate GEM, I find the AVX outstanding

My $ 0.02 worth

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for the suggestion! I already have an avx :) But it's too heavy for me to carry... Anyway, I've ordered a Star Adventurer now. It has limited payload and capabilities but should be portable.

Louise

Hi Mark

Thanks for the suggestion! I already have an avx :) But it's too heavy for me to carry... Anyway, I've ordered a Star Adventurer now. It has limited payload and capabilities but should be portable.

Louise

Very nice, I jpurchased a Star Adventurer (2 weeks ago) for travel to dark sky sites, will also give a it a go at home.  Unfortunately is seems the only clear nites I am having is when I am working :(

Please post results from the star adventurer

Mark

Archived