SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TV Delite

Saganite

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much field curvature is "little" in the Delite review, it will be fun to see how they compare to the Baader Morpheus and it's small amount of field curvature. Same for the "relatively little rectilinear distortion" in the Delite.

The review is on CN, in a link.

If the Delite bested the XW does this mean they will also best a Delos ? after all Bill does describe the XW as "arguably the de facto standard of excellence for eyepieces of this focal length & AFOV" ?

With this in mind they do sound a pretty good buy :smiley:

Gerry,

This in my opinion is not strong pincushion, I would not like to see the same shot through something like the 26mm Nagler for example. I recall the 14mm Delos and 17.3mm have the same distortion, probably worse because of the wider FOV, but on 12mm and under you really have to look for it, putting a shot of a straight line grid pattern is a really stiff test for any any lens.

Alan

I will check later as I have the 7mm XW, from memory it does not look anywhere near as severe the image above. I must also add I didn't notice any at the centre of the eyepiece..... I have an old grid pattern somewhere that made is up of smaller squares and it is a good tool to show this type distortion :smiley:

Hi everyone.  Post was removed due to TOS issues.  Will see if I can get that resolved.

But anyway, a few points...

1. RD - the pic in the review is of roof shingles.  Was just convenient.  Sorry for not so in focus but I am not an AP person.  Remember that when looking at this you are just looking at a very small portion of the AFOV.  So extend that black arc all the way around to a huge circle.  So the RD showing is very small.  As I believe I said in the review...it is exactly the same amount of RD as I was seeing from the Tak 18mm Abbe.  Most all Abbes these days have a little RD like what is pictured.  Only way to get that design to work well off-axis in f/4.  So it really is minimal compared to other wide fields.

2. The FC I detected was extremely small.  So small that just a nudge of my fine focus knob on my TSA-102.  In the XT10 there was none.  So am not attributing it to the eyepiece as really cannot tell without a flat field scope like a Petzval.  But it was that very minor and only in the TSA.  I expect to get my hands on Morpheus this week so might get a chance at a compare between the two.

You'all can keep questions coming in this thread and I will pop my "two eyes" in here daily to see what's up :grin:

Gerry,

This in my opinion is not strong pincushion, I would not like to see the same shot through something like the 26mm Nagler for example. I recall the 14mm Delos and 17.3mm have the same distortion, probably worse because of the wider FOV, but on 12mm and under you really have to look for it, putting a shot of a straight line grid pattern is a really stiff test for any any lens.

Alan

Yes this is where Merlitz's research becomes evident, as we can all see it different. Almost all TV eyepieces to my eyes show moderate to strong pincushion, while some others show much less. I use a church steeple to test among other things, and test straight through. Maybe we should all take Merlitz's test to see where were at lol!http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/distortion.html

Bill Paolini posted his review this morning on the new TV Delite, 7mm, 11mm, & 18.2mm, but I cannot find it.Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me.  :smiley:

Sorry about the missing review. The review wasn't actually posted here at SGL, it was only a link. We removed it temporarily then PMd BillP asking him if he would post his review at SGL. Apparently he can't, it is a review commissioned (paid for) by a retailer intended to drive traffic from social media sites to the retailer's website. He isn't allowed to post the review, he can only link to it. We planned to discuss this downstairs tonight before making a decision but are happy to leave things as they are. Sorry for the confusion. 

BillP, we value your knowledge and experience and we are not questioning your objectivity but commissioned reviews are a grey area for us so please convey our preferences to retailers or manufacturers when next they ask you to write one  :police:

No problem.  And btw, no payment involved there.  They just asked if I would do a review exclusive to their site and I agreed.  So copyright is theirs.  Would be nice if I got paid as I like the night job so much better than the day job ... guess that makes me a "free hired gun" now  :tongue:

I did not have a go.  I really wanted to though.  I have other bino EPs that are 60 degree AFOVs and find them quite generous enough.  They also have good ER so very comfortable binoing with.  Only downside I can think of for using the DeLites for binoing is how that is $500 USD for a pair!!  But other than that, and having to put up with the undercuts which often cause seating problems for binos, they should be fine.

No problem.  And btw, no payment involved there.  They just asked if I would do a review exclusive to their site and I agreed.  So copyright is theirs.  Would be nice if I got paid as I like the night job so much better than the day job ... guess that makes me a "free hired gun" now  :tongue:

Bill,

Considering the quality you put into your reviews and I know how much time they take , if this is an exclusive then you dam well should have been paid.

Alan

I am a lefty to Alan which is surprising as I am right handed, I had never thought of it until now :shocked:  I wonder how many others are similar.

Apologies to Bill about going off topic :smiley:

Left-eyed, left-handed, left-field, left-wing, left as she goes...about the only one that doesn't apply is left on the shelf as long ago my darling wife in a moment of madness agreed to it. Have a sneaking suspicion she did not know what she was letting herself for :)

I too was lucky enough to read Bill's review before the copyright curtain: utterly superb, thanks Bill! I've benefited so much from yours and John's ep reviews, I should blush...thank you both.

I am dexiamberous, I can write with both hands but neither can spell. Oddly being,  master left eye and right handed is fun when you shoot a gun, I cant hit a thing except by accident. Don't think it would wash as a defence for murder though.

Sorry for being off topic.

Bill,

Considering the quality you put into your reviews and I know how much time they take , if this is an exclusive then you dam well should have been paid.

Alan

I appreciate just being able to get hold of the equipment as I can't afford to buy everything.  Plus am more interested in making bonds with various folks in the hobby rather than making money from the hobby.  And when I write my next book, will probably self publish so can offer it for much less cost ($10-15) so it can get out to more people -- a book I will want to make some money on because the effort is enormous! 

Bill,

That is very noble of you, the point I was really getting across badly was your reviews are so good that you should be paid for them, the fact that you do them only for the joy of using the equipment tells us a great deal about you as a person.

alan. 

Archived