Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What, no prominences ?!!

paulastro

I was out at 6.45am , before the cloud rolled in, and there were no prominences visible I could see in the misty conditions!   There was perhaps one tiny one, but more like a spicule on steroids to me.  It's not often there are no prominences visible.  I hope some appear quickly to reassure any new solar observer who is having first light with their new solar telescope this morning.   :grin:

After watching that lovely prominence that became detached last thing yesterday evening as the sunset, the old saying  'after the lord mayor's show.........'

comes to mind.

Thanks for the heads-up, Paul. Yesterday's Sun was gorgeous and really busy, so I'm quite surprised to see that it may have quietened down a little :smiley: It's another scoorching day, so after coffee I'll nip out and give our fiery friend a little peek :grin:

Yes, the proms have mostly scarpered, looks like there was a nice lift off last evening. And a filament also made a break for it I see on the gong animation from yesterday.

The active regions were very nice indeed this morning, though :laugh: White light must look decent. Seeing was poor here but I am happy I could sneak in this morning before the cloud took over.

Derek. Yesterday I had no decent Sun until 7pm but was rewarded ultimately by seeing the large prom lift-off. The final "way out in space" views were cut short by the Sun setting below our local horizon, it was interesting to see just the prominence hovering above the hill at the last moments.   :smiley: 

Yes, I saw it lift off and posted a snap on a thread I started.  Link below.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/247688-prom-detached-from-sun-at-sunset/

Very nice. I watched that prom more or less all day and then packed everything away at around 6pm as there was rain coming. At around the time you snapped it I thought about setting up again but didn't :sad:

Archived