Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Portability

I have a skywatcher 102 refractor which i bought partly as it seemed to be the right size to take to some dark sites near where i live (Brecon Beacons). It never came with a case and i don't like the thought of having to spend hundreds on an aluminium one. How do most  people transport their kit around - can i just pop it in a duffel bag or is there a risk of damage/misalignment etc?

You can get a trolly bag of the right size and put it in that, also that allows for bits around the edge, eyepieces etc.

Have a look in a Wilkinsons, they have holdalls as well.

If you search a bit you can find sort of back pack type ones that mean you can sling it over your back if preferred, I have a couple for travelling, best try dedicated bag shops for them. Think I picked mine up at the Outlet places.

You will have to get and fit some foam packing for better results.

You could have a look at TS they do a range of bags, TSBags.

A roll of bubble wrap a bit oversized length wise, wrapped round a couple of times, (depending how big the bubbles are), ends pulled over and taped in place. This can be placed in a small duffel bag or small rucksack. Have a look around the charity shops, its amazing the useful bags that come up and sold for very little. Having said that I've also seen aluminium cases sold in charity shops for way less than normal price. These can easily be re-configured with new foam to house other equipment.  

I use a plano military storage trunk, cost £30, luckily cadetdirect are just around the road from where I work. It fits my SW 130pds perfectly, with room for a few odds and sods. They do a larger one that's more £££ but heavier duty and has wheels. I use a folding luggage trolley to move it, the mount, and tripod around.

http://www.cadetdirect.com/plano-medium-military-storage-trunk-black?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiN6sBRDK2vOO_vaRs5cBEiQAfsnJCTKeOfPvwJvRjCWqN6867J6UvA36vfBQR5p5XPV3n2QaAuzT8P8HAQ

I have a skywatcher 102 refractor which i bought partly as it seemed to be the right size to take to some dark sites near where i live (Brecon Beacons). It never came with a case and i don't like the thought of having to spend hundreds on an aluminium one. How do most  people transport their kit around - can i just pop it in a duffel bag or is there a risk of damage/misalignment etc?

Of course we want to look after our kit, but if you are transporting it yourself, you don't need to protect it as though it's going in an aircraft hold.   Refractors will normaly need a serious wallop to affect optical alignment, so one of the above suggestions should be fine.

Lucky you, living near the Brecons :laugh:

Regards, Ed.

When i used to use my 90mm refractor (focal length 1000mm), i found that it fit perfectly in a carry bag i had previously bought to store my recurve bow in. I think the carry bag (really good quality, padding inside etc) cost me about 30 squids in an archery supplies store. I just used what i had. I'm sure there are other products available. I loved it though because i could sling the bag with the scope inside over my shoulder. I couldnt put the mount of tripod in though. 

If you can imagine a soft rifle storage bag...............its pretty much the same.

Something like this: I had longer straps put on mine so i could sling it over my shoulder.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=Az_6xdbP9ZdVtBQAQylNBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTIzNzg3a2RqBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM0OWI1ZGFkZjA2YThhZWU3NTBiNTNmMTcyN2RmNWQ5YQRncG9zAzExBGl0A2Jpbmc-?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Drecurve%2Bbow%2Bcarry%2Bbag%26fr%3Dcrmas%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D11&w=500&h=372&imgurl=images.linnlive.com%2F1924476ba7576ba6aeeb9b670c8c86a7%2Fef4e6497-ede1-46b7-bcdf-495727ed4c97.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Febay.com%2Fitm%2Frecurve-archery-bow-kit-bag-case%2F360690662645&size=15.0KB&name=Details+about+%3Cb%3ERecurve%3C%2Fb%3E+Archery+%3Cb%3EBow%3C%2Fb%3E+Kit+%3Cb%3EBag%3C%2Fb%3E+Case&p=recurve+bow+carry+bag&oid=49b5dadf06a8aee750b53f1727df5d9a&fr2=piv-web&fr=crmas&tt=Details+about+%3Cb%3ERecurve%3C%2Fb%3E+Archery+%3Cb%3EBow%3C%2Fb%3E+Kit+%3Cb%3EBag%3C%2Fb%3E+Case&b=0∋=21&no=11&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=121shjkgo&sigb=13f8rdhbq&sigi=12tsism7j&sigt=1231ooqu4&sign=1231ooqu4&.crumb=cZnR7Le0a/d&fr=crmas&fr2=piv-web

Archived