Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Film & An Open Dob - Safe??

Paul73

Hi Guys

Inspired by some, quite frankly amazing solar views at SGLX, I've ordered some solar film.

Then I thought..... I have a 250mm FlexTube (semi truss dob). Would having the sides open to sunlight be a issue?

Paul

You shouldn't get any unfiltered light fed through the eyepiece, but I wonder if some off-axis sunlight might get directed somewhere and burn something a bit when swinging the scope about.

Seems unlikely, but you never know.

I agree that a shroud is a must - it is just not worth taking the risk.

Also worth noting that it is not necessary to have a large aperture for solar viewing. You can save yourself some money by taking the small cap off the top cover of the scope and applying a filter to that rather than trying to cover the full aperture. A common way to do that is to place a square of solar film on the inside of the lid covering the 2" hole that will be exposed when you remove the small cap. Make sure you use good quality sticky tape to secure it all the way around the edge of the square with no gaps. Electrical insulation tape works well. Also make sure the hole in the cover isn't sitting over one of the struts holding the secondary to avoid interference in the light path and you should get some stunning views.

Be safe and good luck :wink:

Archived