SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

USB extension Hello all.connection for PD1 astrocam

bomberbaz

Hello all

I am setting up an astrocam in my back garden and my last missing piece of equipment to allow me to do this is a 10M USB cable. 

I discussed this today at the local PC shop and he advised a "active repeater" booster cable akin to this http://www.cables2u.co.uk/active-repeater-extension-cable-high-speed-usb2-p-1021.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CNfz6_7iyMUCFSLKtAodODgA3A

However someone else on here mentioned using one of these "rovers" http://www.amplicon.com/Data-Comms/product/USB-USB-USB-4654.cfm

The difference is £60 ish between the "active repeater" and the "rover" option.

So has anyone any ideas or preferences for either or indeed, something else?

UPDATE: Would 2 x 5M repeater cables work better than one 10M one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251536456314?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0 I have no idea so I hope this is not a silly question but fwiw the answer to me would be yes, any ideas?

TIA

Steve

I daffed for ages with USB extenders, I gave up a remot controled a small PC at the scope instead, far more reliable, USB can be a real pain at times and extenders can work and can also be a waste of time too, this is not just dependant on the lead, but the device the port and whcih way the wind is blowing :)

Hi Earl Well I want to sit inside and dabble from my very large PC rather than outside. The LP has finally got the better of me in the garden so astrocam will give far better results and from comfort too.

However I am looking more into the repeaters and they seem to be getting some bad press for camera work. However that said this is simply to remotely control a mount so maybe I shouldnt have the same issues as it won't be as resource hungry.

Steve

if you pop a small computer at the mount then Teamviewer to it via wired lan its far far more reliable.

And I agree in my experiance extending usb, cameras didnt like to play ball, I did none active, active, via lan extenders and also via a gigabit lan adapter, all had issues of some sort.

BUMP

ok another question for anybody in the know. Would I be better off extending via a serial connection instead of the USB via a RS 232 10M extension as so http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/330522383214?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Sorry for the questions on this but I did read somewhere last night that serial connections are more reliable than USB

TIA

Steve

I've been using a 10M Active Repeater USB cable succesfully for about 4 years - albeit USB 1.1.

It runs an Atik 16HR, filterwheel and mount, never had a problem with it since I seperated the guiding onto it's own additional USB repeater. 

Thankyou all for the responses, having done a lot of reading and asking around it would appear that a repeater cable should work fine. It is only for controlling the mount and not for high data video afterall. It is of course returnable so its a case of nothing ventured.

If all goes well I will stick up a post or maybe even blog it about what I have done and the parts needed. FYI this is the cable I have gone for as the latest review is for a guy using it for scope and camera sohhhh  :grin:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J9L8S4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

cheers all for the help

steve

Hello again all. Well cable arrived today and it is perfectly happy with a repeater cable which is, with the exsting RS232 AND RS232/SERIAL CONVERTER  at a length of 12M.

Just did a quick virtual aligh and slewed it around with stellarium and was most pleased with the results. Now all I need to test it all out properly is a clear sky, oh wait  :grin:

Steve

The most common problems with USB seem to be caused by low voltage, not data. USB runs on around 5v. The lower the voltage the larger the voltage drop and thus larger wire needs grow quickly with distance. Powered USB hub at scope, then the data should be ok at 10m with just about any wire.

The most common problems with USB seem to be caused by low voltage, not data. USB runs on around 5v. The lower the voltage the larger the voltage drop and thus larger wire needs grow quickly with distance. Powered USB hub at scope, then the data should be ok at 10m with just about any wire.

Yeah powered hubs are essential imo except for keyboard and mouse.

I found I could get away with the 5m 'booster-repeater' leads for the scope inside the observatory but the 10m repeater leads on the outside pier never worked. Nor did the powered USB hubs+10m lead solutions I tried. In the end I moved the computer closer to the scope and so only needed the 5m booster leads.

Archived