SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My New Shed

Peje

Yes, I understand.

My neighbour has a bees nest in his extension roof. It is only 5 feet from our kitchen window. We can't open the window because hundreds a day come in. He won't seal it off in the winter just does not care as it does not bother him.

I do like bees though!

Derek

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I understand.

My neighbour has a bees nest in his extension roof. It is only 5 feet from our kitchen window. We can't open the window because hundreds a day come in. He won't seal it off in the winter just does not care as it does not bother him.

I do like bees though!

Derek

You could get some lovely close up shots of the bees in action, that's what I'd be doing.

Got a few bug bombs earlier so planning to keep setting those off each week to keep the shed clear...wonder if it'll work in the short term

Yes, I understand.

I do like bees though!

Derek

You may be able to arrange something to guide them away from the window as they leave. That's probably the best you can do without the assistance of a beekeeper.  If they've been there over winter then they're probably honey bees and they'll stay for as long as the colony can survive.  Sealing the colony in during the winter isn't a great option as you then end up with a load of decomposing bees in the roof space.  If the colony dies out it would make sense to seal it though, as it's quite possible that another swarm will move in if they find it.

James

You may be able to arrange something to guide them away from the window as they leave. That's probably the best you can do without the assistance of a beekeeper.  If they've been there over winter then they're probably honey bees and they'll stay for as long as the colony can survive.  Sealing the colony in during the winter isn't a great option as you then end up with a load of decomposing bees in the roof space.  If the colony dies out it would make sense to seal it though, as it's quite possible that another swarm will move in if they find it.

James

Hi James,

I think that is what happened. Another colony has moved in. It makes life difficult but then I do like bees. With the Varroa  mite about I don't want any thing to happen to them I just wish they would move over a bit.

Derek

You could get some lovely close up shots of the bees in action, that's what I'd be doing.

Assuming they are honey bees that's possible, but you'd either want to work in a bee suit or set up the camera at dawn and operate it remotely.  One thing that seems to really get their goat on a fairly reliable basis is getting in front of the entrance to their colony.

James

Hi James,

I think that is what happened. Another colony has moved in. It makes life difficult but then I do like bees. With the Varroa  mite about I don't want any thing to happen to them I just wish they would move over a bit.

Derek

It is a royal pain in the backside when this sort of thing happens.  I went out earlier this week to see a local chap who'd had a swarm move into the roof space of a small B&B unit he has.  It's an absolute sod as they're flying right over the path to his front door where any visitors (and the postman etc.) have to walk.

Nothing I could do about it really though.  To remove them could require dismantling some of the gable end of the barn and I'm really not going to get myself into that sort of game.

James

Assuming they are honey bees that's possible, but you'd either want to work in a bee suit or set up the camera at dawn and operate it remotely.  One thing that seems to really get their goat on a fairly reliable basis is getting in front of the entrance to their colony.

James

This could be a daytime use for the astro imaging software used to control a DSLR :)

This could be a daytime use for the astro imaging software used to control a DSLR :)

Indeed it could.  I've had my daughter doing much the same thing to photograph birds visiting a feeder.

James

Indeed it could.  I've had my daughter doing much the same thing to photograph birds visiting a feeder.

James

ControlmyNikon has a great motion detection trigger she may find useful for that, also the Canon equivalent might have it too

Spoke to my neighbour, he said I can remove whatever I need to. He was thinking of having someone do it anyway so he was happy I'd be paying for it and saving him a few quid.

Got a few guys coming out to quote for the job, a couple of years ago I'd have done it myself but these days I can't find time for anything if my son's awake LOL

Without any form of insulation walls and roofs will get wet, my Obby the walls are double skinned with breathable membrane there fine dry as a bone, the roof at the moment is Ply covered in rubber, it drips and gets some sort of mildew, i'm in the planning stage to try Polycarbonate twin or triple wall sheets......

That's actually not strictly true, it is not insulation that will stop the damp, but ventilation.

Polycarbonate roof will be no better, without ventilation, so,you would be better just keeping the roof you have and ventilating the obsy, you need vents at high and low levels this will give a good airflow and stop and air condensing and causing damp.

With a rubber roof and the fact that you have insulated walls the damp air will condense on the underside of the roof, insulation is not the answer, you need a lot more ventilation and the condensation will stop, you need to treat the cause and not the symptoms.

The dripping you are getting is condensation, which occurs when the warmer air rises and condenses on the underside of the colder roof, this in turn will drip onto the floor and turn back to air as the floor will be a tad warmer and the cycle will start all over again. (The same will occur on a polly roof )

I have some kit in a hole ridden shed, so full of vents, and all bone dry all the year round, no condensation and subsequently no damp, as long as the vent don't let in the bad weather you will be fine.

AB

That's actually not strictly true, it is not insulation that will stop the damp, but ventilation.

Polycarbonate roof will be no better, without ventilation, so,you would be better just keeping the roof you have and ventilating the obsy, you need vents at high and low levels this will give a good airflow and stop and air condensing and causing damp.

With a rubber roof and the fact that you have insulated walls the damp air will condense on the underside of the roof, insulation is not the answer, you need a lot more ventilation and the condensation will stop, you need to treat the cause and not the symptoms.

The dripping you are getting is condensation, which occurs when the warmer air rises and condenses on the underside of the colder roof, this in turn will drip onto the floor and turn back to air as the floor will be a tad warmer and the cycle will start all over again. (The same will occur on a polly roof )

I have some kit in a hole ridden shed, so full of vents, and all bone dry all the year round, no condensation and subsequently no damp, as long as the vent don't let in the bad weather you will be fine.

AB

I do see your point and yes I am planning to get some form of ventilation that I can close when I'm out in the shed during the winter to keep some heat in then open and let the heat out as soon as I'm done.

The other chaps theory about insulation is valid, insulation will stop the hot air inside meeting a cold surface but I appreciate in the real world things aren't so simple.

I do see your point and yes I am planning to get some form of ventilation that I can close when I'm out in the shed during the winter to keep some heat in then open and let the heat out as soon as I'm done.

The other chaps theory about insulation is valid, insulation will stop the hot air inside meeting a cold surface but I appreciate in the real world things aren't so simple.

Insulation will not stop damp, it will delay it, the warm air will eventually find its way onto the cold surface through small gaps between the insulation and then you may get mould or mildew that you will not see until it has set in, behind the insulation.

If you are going to insulate then it need to be pretty dam near perfect with absolutely no gaps whatsoever, which is pretty hard in a wooded shed, but I guess possible.

:)

AB

That looks great

coldroof1a.jpg

Consider a cold-roof design, google it for loads of info, I'll be doing something along those lines for the walls and roof.   

That looks great. I'm going to pursue the theory of adding many water resistant vents to keep the temp delta between my shed and outside at a minimum.

Tree's and bushes all removed :)

Cost me £200 which was a bit excessive but he was a nice guy with a professional attitude & job was completed within 2 days of me first making contact. Going to kill the stumps this evening then spray the inside and outside of the shed with mite killer at the weekend, hopefully that will be my shed habitable again very shortly.

Great thread, love the idea of a data centre from a shed Peje (safer than Mumbai). Congrats on the build.

Cheers Chief. Can't wait to get the mount ordered next week, though I'll not get to even touch it for weeks/months.

Also need to kill off the last of these mites and then I'll be laughing

NEQ6 Pro SynScan ordered this morning from FLO. Looking forward to it arriving and sitting in its box in the shed untouched for a few months lol

Excellent.  That'll give you time to get the necessary weight training done :)

James

Excellent. That'll give you time to get the necessary weight training done :)

James

LOL I am still thinking 16kg really won't pose me much hassle, I am a fairly strong chap. Though I may have been wrong once or twice before...

The main issue is a newborn takes up most of my time and also have to make a fuss over my son so he doesn't get jealous...not enough hours in the day. Thankfully it's summer so that means it'll rain fairly constant til winter lol

Archived