Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fun in the 3D Sun

Luke

Ahem, this is what happens when I get no sun for a while... :grin:  I've seen some folks doing some crazy/funky images playing about with solar images in 3D software, it looks like fun, here is my first attempt. I might play some more. Please add your experiments below if you like!

15808632254_2775d293be_o.jpg

It has been soooo cloudy :grin:  The image is stretched in 3D as it's just a play, I didn't do the image to correct proportions.

15811442923_e4ef2e5485_o.jpg

Thanks, Peter! I think this one shows the correlation better than my first one. I used Cinema 4D.

I was a bit surprised when comparing with the orig how different they look. I love 3D software and I think I could have a whole load of fun with this potentially. The colour I added afterwards in Photoshop, in 3D it was a very fine mesh displaced by the original image. I'm wondering what it would be like with some shaders on it that take angle or height into account (I've seen some amazing mountain scenery done with displacement and shaders like that, e.g. snow on the higher regions - not that I think the Sun could do with snow!).

I've been meaning to try something 3D with lunar, I was thinking a bit more subtle like trying to show the lunar features from an altered angle, I like the idea of trying to create a shot were you seem closer to the lunar surface.

Sarah is probably hoping we get some sunshine soon :grin:

Love it, Jarrod! :laugh:

Peter, sorry I should have said that it's professional 3D software, the base version costs several hundred pounds.

I had a tinker with lunar here if anyone is interested in that aspect, just an early play to see if something might work down the line.

Archived