NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

9x50 finder & Asi camera

kenny k

Hi folks,i have purchased an adapter from Modern Astronomy to connect my Asi 120mm to my SW 9x 50 finder for guiding,will i need any spacers to acheive focus.Not had chance to test yet so just thought id ask first.

Thanks

Kenny

Hi folks,i have purchased an adapter from Modern Astronomy to connect my Asi 120mm to my SW 9x 50 finder for guiding,will i need any spacers to acheive focus.Not had chance to test yet so just thought id ask first.

Thanks

Kenny

You are doing exactly what I am doing. I have to focus the 9x50 slightly differently when using the ZWO. There is a lock ring at the objective end .... But you already know that don't you ...

Not sure about the spacers as I don't know the adapter, but a 9x50 Finder might struggle to find guide stars with the asi. Be interested to see how it goes. Keep us posted please.

Hi Geordie mc,why would the asi struggle with guide stars compared to other planetry/webcams?

Thanks

Kenny

You are doing exactly what I am doing. I have to focus the 9x50 slightly differently when using the ZWO. There is a lock ring at the objective end .... But you already know that don't you ...

Hi gnomus,yes im aware of the focus lock ring,have you had success with your celestron finder and asi? surely yours and the skwatcher are pretty similar.

Thanks 

Kenny

Hi gnomus,yes im aware of the focus lock ring,have you had success with your celestron finder and asi? surely yours and the skwatcher are pretty similar.

Thanks 

Kenny

I've only just got the Skywatcher. I'm using the Skywatcher 9x50 for guiding when imaging through the ED80. No problems so far.

I've only just got the Skywatcher. I'm using the Skywatcher 9x50 for guiding when imaging through the ED80. No problems so far.

And you hav'nt had to chop any length off or use additional spacers.

Thanks

Kenny

Sorry, it wasn't specifically the asi, but the combination of it with a 9 x50 finder. I wondered if that gave enough choice of stars as I thought it might lack the overall sensitivity. From other posts it would appear not. This makes me wonder why more people are not doing this rathe than use guide scopes and OAGs?

I actually find that the finder helps me get things set up, as if there are cameras on everything, then I find getting the initial alignment can be a bit hit and miss and adds to the hassle. I tried not having the finder attached for balance and weight reasons, but I very quickly put it back on. Not a great reason to have a whole guide scope setup, but it is a small mercy I am grateful for.

Matt

I think many would use a plate solver such as pinpoint or Elbrus to make sure they're on target. Many dso's don't appear visible in a finder. But for quick alignment on brighter targets I agree, I wouldn't want to lose my finder.

Sorry, it wasn't specifically the asi, but the combination of it with a 9 x50 finder. I wondered if that gave enough choice of stars as I thought it might lack the overall sensitivity. From other posts it would appear not. This makes me wonder why more people are not doing this rathe than use guide scopes and OAGs?

I bought the mono Asi Camera for a dabble at Lrgb planetry imaging and have been told mono cams are more sensitive to picking up guide stars.I'll certainly go down the road of a second guide scope but as others are saying it can done apparently.

Kenny

I'm looking at the same cam for lunar and maybe planetary work too. Did you get the filter wheel and filters to go with it yet? Be interested what you think of it if you manage any imaging sessions in the next few weeks. Hope we get some clear weather. I've seen some great shots with it. If Damian Peach likes it, it must be good!

I took my first 2 images with my new Xmas ASI last night : 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/235651-another-lunar-cherry/

and 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/235655-my-what-a-lot-of-extension-tubes/

They are my first proper planetary images, so not much to compare to, and the whole process is new to me. I am running everything off a Mac, so using James' oaCapture, but it all seems great. No filters as yet.

I'm looking at the same cam for lunar and maybe planetary work too. Did you get the filter wheel and filters to go with it yet? Be interested what you think of it if you manage any imaging sessions in the next few weeks. Hope we get some clear weather. I've seen some great shots with it. If Damian Peach likes it, it must be good!

Yes i got the ZWO filter wheel & filters with camera.

Here's my first ever attempts at planetry imaging.JUPITER_B.bmpSATURN_RGB FINISHED-1.bmpMARS LRGB 1.bmp

Kenny

Archived