SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My, what a lot of extension tubes

MattJenko

My first effort at imaging Jupiter. I used a rather inappropriate ED80, a more accepted ASI120M (mono as I have no filters yet) and a Hyperion 2.25 barlow and a LOT of extension T2 tubes. It was so far racked out to get focus it looked absolutely ridiculous, and I could scarcely believe that it was required, but It was dark, so who cares as long as it worked. I do believe there is a red (grey) spot and bonus Io and Europa!

483f2ddd3447ac259c39346604477a96.620x0_q

Really nice image. Forgive my ignorance on this but why can't you leave the star diagonal in place to give more distance without the extension tubes? Does it cause some image distortion etc? Always new things to learn for me. Then again, nobody said this hobby would be easy.

A diagonal is just another piece of glass in the way. I could probably have used one with no problem mind, given I am a rank beginner at this. A tube is just a tube though and as long as they are solid, which although long, mine seemed to be, there is not problem other than awkwardness. I have heard that long tubes can introducing some vignetting (not sure of the science), but with a little sensor like the ASI120, I doubt it and I didn't see any and for planets, its not that important. 

Archived