Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New scope

Sometime in the new year I will be buying a new scope, I have a SW120ED currently and am pleased with it, my main interest is wide field and deep sky, I'm not really a planetary person, I just occasionally peek at Jupiter and Saturn so I don't need extreme power so I looked at Dobsonians and noted they are the light buckets of the Astronomy world, but also noted long exposure astrophotography can't be done with them, so I then looked at Celestron 8" but can only find them sold with a mount, I already have a mount so just need an OTA, I see some costing thousands which I don't have, what are good options for around $1000 please?

Neil.

Try OPT in Oceanside, CA. They have OTA's of both Meade and Celestron 8" SCT's:

http://www.optcorp.com/telescopes/cassegrain-telescopes.html?p=2

And others are there as well. I've dealt with OPT for quite a few years, and will continue to do so. Excellent service and very knowledgable staff.

Clear and Dark Skies,

Dave

If the scope is to be used for imaging then the Meade/Celestron range of SCT's are not really suited, the focal length is too long - the longer the focal length the more tracking errors are "magnified". Putting a reducer on to get one the same f number as the refrator is seems a bit pointless - just use the ED.

Really for astrophotography the route is more like a good fast apo refractor - as in an f/5-f/6 triplet - then use the 120ED for visual.

If the ideaa is to continue with the 120ED for imaging and you want a visual scope then yes an SCT will be good - the post is a little ambiguous.

I have a Meade 12-inch LX90ACF, and it's outfitted for video-astrophotography. And there are some excellent focal-reducers available which, used properly, work very well to lend these SCT's quite well-suited for AP:

http://www.mallincam.net/uploads/2/6/9/1/26913006/focal_reduction_for_dummies.pdf

Though written with video in mind, this article is quite useful for other applications as well.

Clear Skies,

Dave

As you already have the mount what is it as this might help with the replies you get?

A dobsonian is a style I of mount on which the telescope, a reflector sits.

The astrophotography limit is the dobsonian mount and not so much the telescope potentially.

sorry, yes my post left a little to be desired lol....I am going to use the ED120 for imaging and was looking for a larger aperture for visual.....glob clusters and open clusters in particular.

thinking about it though would a faster scope be better for imaging? mine is f7.5, would I get much advantage from say the WO zenithstar 71 at f5.9?....my main concern right now is light collection for visual but would a larger aperture be enough of an advantage to consider a larger scope for both imaging AND visual?

Neil.

I am using a CGEM mount and maybe I could mount a WO zenithstar 71 piggyback on the 120ED if a faster aperture is going to benefit me more? then just get a big ole DOB for visual, something like a 8-10"? in fact a long focal length would give me better views of the planets even though i'm not an avid planet guy?

Neil.

There isn't a scope for imaging and visual dso unless you have a high end and large mount If you are going to use the 120 for imaging it may be more cost effective to get a largish dob for visual it also gives you something to do whilst collecting photons. a thought just struck me isn't it odd that people are prepared to fork out for a dedicated imaging scope but not for a visual scope?

I am using a CGEM mount and maybe I could mount a WO zenithstar 71 piggyback on the 120ED if a faster aperture is going to benefit me more? then just get a big ole DOB for visual, something like a 8-10"? in fact a long focal length would give me better views of the planets even though i'm not an avid planet guy?

Neil.

That sounds like a better plan to me your 120 would be good on planets  a fast refractor for imaging and a dob for dso's

I have the Celestron Advanced VX 8 Edge HD but you could buy just the scope.  It has features that make it very good for astro-imaging and by using them you can reduce the F number significantly down to reduce exposure times.  Very nice optics an a lovely scope to use anyway but I bought it to be fairly future proof

At 25.5lbs, it would. Add to the weight of the OTA  some form of rings and mounting-plate - and you'll still be fine. The Celestron CGEM has a stated capacity of 40lbs, and it's always best to be well under this, and add a camera - you should be okay.

Perhaps someone out there who has more hands-on experience with this mount and it's abilities will arrive with a more definitive reply.....?

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived