SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

-25c and clear...finally :)

jetstream

A cold front went through and finally got rid of some fairly poor astro weather, I'll take the cold with clear skies over warmer and snow/clouds any day!

First off my conditions, NELM 6.43 ( HIP4475) and 21.5 mag on the SQM. Many objects visible naked eye, I just leaned against my truck for a bit to take it all in, what a sight! The diamonds in the sky were back :grin:

NGC 891 gave up its dust lane very well, not just a thin line, but much more substantial, fairly thick actually. M31's dust lanes were stunning in the LZ, the very best yet, beating my Ethos and Delos. It seems this EP does well on brighter DSO including the best views of M81/M82 yet, the list is growing for the LZ!

Sky cruised Auriga, nabbing 3 nebs with the 25mm TV and the Hb, the California in Perseus gave up very nice contrast, good before, but better now that it is higher. New galaxies were had in Pegasus, now I have to figure out which ones lol! M33 with the LZ showed its propeller very well, this combo best again for the spirals.

All in all a great night, no HH, Flame easy, but the scope frosted up by the time Orion was high enough for a good try. BUT I did see hint of IC 434..... :smiley:

I worried when you wrote, "leaned against my truck". In -25C I wondered if you'd stick on to the side. Thankfully no mention of this further on :)

Will be most interested in your further evaluations of your Leica Zoom. A most interesting eyepiece for astronomy.

Andy.

Great report, Gerry and glad to hear you're getting some spectacular nights. - 21 does sound rather cold. I mean, I'm starting to shiver around +10, so I can't imagine what 30 degrees less would feel like. Look forward to more reports and perhaps a little review or your feelings on the Leica Zoom :smiley:

Nice report. Thats a great NELM to be working under, for sure! I can barely beat a 5 but noticed all 7 main stars of UMi were possible last night. The California Nebula must be grand with the correct filter and a dark background. I was squinting around its edges with the UHC last night in vain, but am hanged if I'll give up!

Archived