NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opinion on binoculars over telescope?

Hi there everyone! Thank you so much for taking a look at my question; any advice is appreciated!

To be up front, I know absolutely nothing of astronomy or stargazing. It is my boyfriend who has recently become extremely interested in it, and loves looking up at the night sky, finding constellations and using an app on his cell phone to locate planets. His birthday is coming up and I know he would love a telescope so he could pursue this further!

I emailed a local shop that sells all sorts of scientific equiptment and asked for their advice on what kind of telescope would work best for a beginniner. I also mentioned I'm a student on a fairly strict budget, so if possible, was looking for something for around $200.

The shopkeeper replied that I really wouldn't be able to find a decent beginner's telescope for that amount of money, and I was better off purchasing a set of binoculars. He recommended the SkyMaster 25-125x80 Zoom Astronomy Binocular. The specifications are:

• Aperture: 80 mm (3.15″)
  • Magnification: 25-125x Zoom
  • Eye Relief : 13 mm (0.51″)
  • Angular Field of View (deg): 1.25°
  • Near Focus: 30m (98 ft)
  • Prisms: BAK-4 Porro Prisms
  • Optical Coatings: Multi-Coated
  • Weight: 2155g (76 oz)

A link with more information if you're interested is:

http://quarkyscience.ca/shop/celestron-skymaster-25-125x80-zoom-astronomy-binocular/

So my questions are:

1.) Do you think this is a better idea? As a complete novice, I can't help but think binoculars are rather disappointing compared to a telescope, but I know i could be very wrong.

2.) Would I also need to purchase a tripod in order to keep the binoculars still?

3.) Would you be able to see planets with binoculars?

4.) Does this pair seem decent for the price of $195.95 (Canadian dollars)? Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you again for reading! I'm sorry I have such limited knowledge on this, but I will definitely be directing my boyfriend to this forum...I know he would get so much out of all the information and the wonderful community here!

Hi

My own opinion steer clear of Zoom binoculars, I am sure someone will be along to advice you, I have a pair  15X70 Celestron Skymaster  I think they are great you would also need a monopod

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71009-Skymaster-Porro-Binoculars/dp/B00008Y0VN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415393110&sr=8-1&keywords=15x70+binoculars

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Monopod-Star-78-Mono/dp/B000EOQT48/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415393170&sr=8-4&keywords=monopod

well  within your budget

Binoculars hand held need to be around 8 X 42, there's a couple of reasons i can think of, any bigger mag and they shake, its also hard to judge what you looking at unless its something like the Moon, your need something sturdy but flexible for bigger Bins, Get a scope if you want to see planets and DSO's.....

Please please run a hundred miles in the opposite direction from any zoom binoculars! I can't believe you where recommended them!  :eek:

Fixed magnification binoculars are fine but no one has been able to make a usable zoom bino for astronomy. Not even high end brands have managed it as far as I know? Basically, even with fixed binoculars its job enough to allign both optics with each other, adding a zoom mechanism to this makes it a hundred times harder to keep this allignment (known as collimaton). Its also hard to ensure that both optics magnify exactly the same with Zooms.

Fixed binos are good fun, 8x40 or 10x50 are good for hand hold but anything higher such as 15x70 or 20x80 really need mounting. This is partly the extra weight but mostly because because its difficult to hold anything over 10x magnification still enough not to see stars dancing all over the place.

Using two eyes with binos is great, I have a very decent pair of 10x50's and a 80mm binocular telescope. However, if someone said to me you could either use a telescope or standard binoculars for the rest of you life I would choose a telescope. Why? well, with a telescope you can use different eyepieces to achieve different magnifications and you don't have to worry about the same issues as with zoom binos as you are using just one optic. You can mag it up to 200x to view the rings of Saturn or the belts and moons of Jupiter, you can pan around at low mag looking at open clusters, nebula and large galaxies, or intermediate mag for things like globular clusters and smaller galaxies and planetary nebulae :) You can also add a binoviewer to some scopes to use 2 eyes.

With binos you are seeing a low power wide view, you can fit a lot in but the image scale is such that planets look like small featureless bright discs, although you can see the moons of Jupiter with reasonable large binos. Binos are great for using both eyes and for quickly grabbing for a look between the clouds, or for helping locate an object for your telescope to hone in on.

So my two pence worth is to get s telescope for him firstly then maybe he can get a pair of binos to compliment the scope down the line.

On a budget I would be looking at a Dobsonian telescope, this is a reflecting telescope on a very basic up/down left/right mount. These are good because they are very easy to use and all the money goes on the optics as the mount is so cheap to make. You should easily get a 5 or 6" Dobsonian telescope for your budget :)

I'm very glad you found this forum so we could steer you away from those horrible zoom binos :rolleyes: 

I had the same problem three years back, read all the advice I could get and came up with Barr & Stroud Savannah 10 x 36 binoculars - just over £100 here in England, very comfortable to use, not too big but big enough, not heavy but a tripod is well worth having, as is a camping/folding chair.

Not sure if you can get that make in Canada but they are within the price range and very nicely made.  Here is a link to their website http://www.barrandstroud.com/product/Barr%20and%20Stroud%20Savannah%2010x56%20Binocular  They ticked all the boxes when I researched them.  I wouldn't get too hung up on seeing planets - unlikely - but binocs are great for what they are designed for - seeing wide chunks of the sky - often far more breathtaking than the very narrow view partial you get through a telescope.  The Orion nebula looks fabulous through my Barr & Stroud, as does the Andomeda galaxy and Pleiades.    This book on Amazon is written specially for the subject and it's great http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Stargazing-Binoculars-David-Frydman/dp/1849071977

This is an article on things to consider when buying binocs.http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/choosing-binoculars-for-stargazing/  Good luck!

I would avoid the recommended items, at 25-125x Zoom they will be poor with regards image quality and at 2.166Kg far too heavy. That is close to 5lbs in weight. You would need a substantial tripod to put them on.

Binoculars are fine for sort of general viewing, you can look at say Orion and pick out the nebula, same for the double cluster in Perseus - you can see where they are. However for looking at something you really need a scope.

If you want to look around then go for the 8x42 general purpose ones. They do the job well, I have 2 sets and keep one set in the car for when I get the chance to just look around.

Looks like islandeyepiece at Mill Bay has gone. Cannot think of a scope shop in Victoria or the region close, there is one or two in Vancouver, a biggish one at 3430 Brighton Ave, Burnaby. Was or is a smaller second one off West Broadway - cannot recall the exact address. Pleasant bunch of nutters when I met them.

I would suggest you avoid the department store ones such as Walmart, The Bay etc. Simply usually the background knowledge is not there.

You do have a club in Victoria and there is one up in Nanaimo (bit too far). Contact the Victoria group they may know of a reasonable retailer, but I cannot think of anyone in central Victoria, not Tillicum Mall or Sidney.

http://victoria.rasc.ca/

Bill Weir is the name I recognise but there are others that you can try.

The Victoria group meet for coffee at Fairfield, next is Nov 10 at 19:30, if possible go along and get information (and coffee). Thought there would be more cafe's on Cook to be honest.

Binoculars should be easier to locate, possibly try Kerisdale Cameras, they may hold some.

If and before you decide on a scope have a good look round at what is used and simply which design sort of makes sense and appeals. You want something relatively easy to get along with.

I think a beginner would be very pleased with the views through one of the budget scopes, something like the Skywatcher ST80, a refractor, Skywatcher 130EQ, a reflector, or Skywatcher Heritage 130P, also a reflector but on a dobsonian style mount.  Sounds like the guy in the shop either wanted to sell you something more expensive or just didn't know much about astronomy.

A $200 pair of 8x42 binoculars and a planisphere could equally be a very good present, as the binoculars could easily be used for wildlife or ship spotting too.  I have a pair of Bushnell Legend 8x42 binoculars, they are tough and very easy to use, nice and sharp too.

Telescopes may come and go, but a good pair of binoculars is for life.  Personally, I would go for some good quality 10x50 bins.  These can be hand-held, but I find it much more enjoyable to use them with a monopod (a cheap one will do), just to reduce the inevitable shakes.

Maybe something like these http://www.canadiantelescopes.com/Binoculars_2/Waterproof/Orion-10x50-E-Series-Waterproof-Astronomy-Binoculars_2.html#.VF_6eLAfzIU

There is lots of useful info here http://www.binocularsky.com/

Hi Ladybinks,

Sounds like the guy in the shop either wanted to sell you something more expensive or just didn't know much about astronomy.

Agreed. Whatever you decide on, now and in the future, search around online for a reputable dealer in astro equipment, and give your local camera store a wide berth.

Good luck.

A

Hi Ladybinks and welcome to SGL, I have no need to mention zoom binoculars, as I imaging you have got the picture by now. You are fortunate in that Carton Optics of Japan have their retail outlet in Canada. They produce their brand of "Adlerblic"  binoculars in the range 7x50 and 10x50, these were reviewed in the very popular publication, "Back Yard Astronomers Guide", Dickinson/Deyer. Describing them in their binocular review, as one of the best in the middle to high price range, the 7x50 having almost perfect clarity edge to edge. I bought a pair of the 10x50 from Canada years ago and can confirm that they certainly live up to the mark. On a good clear night, the 4 Moons of Jupiter are to be observed, when other similar size pairs I have, struggle to make the grade :)

You didn’t mention that this was to be a surprise gift, so maybe you should get him involved as to what might interest him. Sadly, some gifts miss the mark. Think of all those returns after Christmas.

Archived