Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAKAHASHI FSQ-130ED !

TakMan

Take a look at this new beauty!

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=870387

The new Takahashi FSQ-130ED incorporates optics that use an exceptionally advanced design that produces a flat-field astrograph a with large highly illuminated field that is further enhanced with the new dedicated 645 reducer that produces a 70mm image circle at f/3.5. 

The scope incorporates a five-element design that includes 3 premium ED elements to produce a high order of color correction. At prime focus, the 130 produces an incredible 110mm image circle. The stars in the center of the field are 2.0 micron and only 4.5 micron at the edge of an 66mm circle. The high contrast images produced are extremely sharp and are 90% illuminated. 

The FSQ-130ED has been designed to be a flat field super low dispersion quintuplet apochromat with broadband multi-layer anti reflection coatings to transmit the maximum amount of light. 
At 22" long the FSQ-130ED is a highly portable powerful flat-field astrograph and does not require a large mount to carry it, so it can be easily used at remote sites and with 175mm of back focus has enough room to attach long imaging packages. 

The FSQ-130ED was designed to produce a large highly illuminated flat field that is perfect for larger chip cameras that require larger illuminated fields. This design is the next step in the evolution of the Takahashi FSQ Series astrographs. The outstanding performance of the FSQ-130, its portability, high quality construction and outstanding images makes this instrument an outstanding imaging platform. 

NATIVE FOCAL RATIO: f/5; 650mm FL 

Optical performance: 

Off-axis distance [mm] 0 15 22 32 
RMS-spot diameter [micron] 2.0 3.0 4.0 4.5 
Relative illumination [%] 100 99 97 92

Takahashi has designed a new dedicated 645 format reducer for the FSQ-130ED that produces a 70mm diameter image circle with very small stars 5.0 micron at the edge of an 64mm circle. 

645 Reducer 0.7x 

Focal length: 455mm 
Focal ratio: f/3.5 
Image circle 70mm 

Optical performance 

Off-axis distance [mm] 0 15 22 32 
RMS-spot diameter 2.5 3.0 4.0 5.0 
Relative illumination [%] 100 96 90 60 

The Takahashi RD-QR .73x can be used with the FSQ-130 and will produce color rich images across a flat field and a 44mm image circle. 

RD-QE 0.73x 

Focal length: 474mm 
Focal ratio f/3.6 
Image circle 44mm 

Optical performance: 

Off-axis distance [mm] 0 15 22 
RMS-spot diameter (micron) 3.0 5.0 14 
Relative illumination [%] 100 90 65 

EX-ED 1.5x 

The Extender-ED when used with the 130 offers larger image scale for smaller objects at 982mm. 

Focal length 982mm 
Focal ratio f/7.5 
Image circle 44mm 

Optical performance: 

RMS-spot diameter (micron) 2.0 15 30 
Relative illumination [%] 100 80 65 

The EXQ-1.6x is well suited to be used with the FSQ-130 for greater image scale. Stars produced by the EXQ are small. 

Extender-Q 1.6x 

Focal length 1043mm 
Focal ratio f/8 
Image circle 44mm 

Optical performance: 

RMS-spot diameter (micron) 4.0 8.0 10.0 
Relative illumination [%] 100 75 58 

SCOPE IS EXPECTED TO BE AVAILABLE AFTER THE FIRST OF THE YEAR. PRICE TBD. 

post-4105-0-73446600-1414794348_thumb.jp

post-4105-0-75797700-1414794424_thumb.jp

It had to happen and it's very impressive. At the moment, though, there are one or two things to sober us up;

You can't buy a CCD that can fill even the 88mm circle of the FSQ106. You are paying for a 110mm circle, in other words, that you cannot use - and if anyone does produce a sensor approaching that size the cost of the Tak will pale into insignificance, probably.

Will they have sorted out the problem of focus drift during temperature cooldown? In most environments this is an issue with the later, non-fluorite FSQ106 which many find needs robotic refocus between subs. If they have then this would be a 130 positive.

With the reducer the flat field will be marginal on the full frame Kodak chips which need slightly more than 44mm, from experience. I think that if you wanted to image at this kind of FL and a full frame sensor you'd be better with the 106 at native. You'd be at F5 rather than F3.6 but your flat field would be bombproof, with room to spare.

Basically this takes the 106 concept from 530mm FL to 650mm FL. Is that a big deal? It remains a widefield FL and doesn't open up the galaxies. In reality I find myself doing mosaics most of the time with our FSQ106 tandem so it is really more field that I find myself wanting rather than the opposite, more focal length.

It should be a great telescope but the cameras need to catch up with it.

Olly

????

http://www.calphoto.co.uk/category/cameras-lenses/cameras/digital-cameras/medium-format-digital-cameras/

There's loads of medium format CCD's out there- cost way more than the scope will though!!

Are any of these cooled astronomical monochrome CCD cameras? I can see lots of uncooled (and therefore rather limited) digital one shot colours but I didn't go through the entire lot of them! If you are going to buy this level of astrograph one shot colour would be a bizarre way to go, especially uncooled at a moderate F5.

The biggest proper amateur astronomical camera I know of has a 36x36 chip. What am I missing?

Olly

A great lunar 'scope for visual indeed!  So Damian.......  TEC140 v FSQ130....  Let the war begin ;)

Hehheh, I bet the TEC140, even with TEC's expensive (but vast) flatfield corrector will be cheaper. A lot cheaper.

But it's F7.

But then again, isn't that what you want? Significantly more FL than the FSQ106?

AAARRRGGHH, thank God I don't have enough money to think about this seriously!

I bet my second hand TEC140 and very second hand FSQ106N together come in below the cost of the FSQ130. Cards on the table, Tak have to get the FSQ130 under £5,800 to win this one... 

Eek, the suspense is killing me.

:grin: lly

ollypenrice, on 01 Nov 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

I bet my second hand TEC140 and very second hand FSQ106N together come in below the cost of the FSQ130. Cards on the table, Tak have to get the FSQ130 under £5,800 to win this one... 

Eek, the suspense is killing me.

:grin: lly

Wishful thinking at under 5.8 k me thinks

Hi Steve!

There'll be no 'Vs' as the wife would kick me out!

I've 'made my bed' as it were and paid my deposit for the TEC140 and that will be strictly for visual on the Nova Hitch + a new iPad AIR 2 (Christmas present) and Sky Safari. I'm sure it will excel in that regard as it was designed as a visual scope.

I've also placed a pre-order for that super looking Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas to use alongside Sky Safari, see: http://www.deepskyatlas.com

To be honest, I enjoy the visual side (with friends) more than imaging - hence the 'investment' in the TEC, I just don't have the time to do imaging properly or make use of the clear skies which usually coincide with a works night to get the data that's required. If I could, I'm sure I could do as well as most others that post on here. After-all, I do work in graphics and use Photoshop for a living!

The new Taks pretty gorgeous though, hey - I think some posters are missing the point, chips will continue to get bigger. DSLR makers are already seeing diminishing returns on the old 35mm full frame format. It can only be a matter of time before we see a bridge between those and the prohibitive cost of medium format. We've had some of these big Hasselblads at work for years and seen the prices tumble... then Takahashi will be in a very good position to capitalise.

Good to hear from you anyway, did you pursue your own TEC...?

Clear skies,

Damian

Damian, you'll love the TEC for visual. I have a 20 inch Dob here and often move between that and the TEC. The experiences are different but the TEC is just so fine, the view is so perfect... Tiny stars, etched details, striking contrasts... To be honest, having it tied up for imaging is a shame, though it is a first rate imaging scope as well.

As for a big, cooled, monochrome amateur CCD chip capable of exploiting a 110mm circle, I don't see it round the corner but I'd dearly love to be wrong. In the ten years or so that I've been interested in CCD we have gone from the Kodak full frame up to 36x36 and that's it, so far as I know.

I thought you'd gone quiet on the imaging. This has been a disappointment!

Olly

Are any of these cooled astronomical monochrome CCD cameras? I can see lots of uncooled (and therefore rather limited) digital one shot colours but I didn't go through the entire lot of them! If you are going to buy this level of astrograph one shot colour would be a bizarre way to go, especially uncooled at a moderate F5.

The biggest proper amateur astronomical camera I know of has a 36x36 chip. What am I missing?

Olly

Not all astro imaging is done with cooled mono CCD's.

Medium format CCD's (both colour and monochrome) are out most amateurs reach- but to answer your question big cooled mono CCD's do exist.

http://www.vision-systems.com/articles/2012/02/teledyne-dalsa-quantapro-2k-ccd-camera.html

No idea what they sell for though- were in the professional observatory realm here!

FLI coming in at 61.3mm

PL50100 Sensor Specs
Sensor:     Truesense KAF-50100
Pixels:     8176 x 6132
Pixel Size:     6 μm
Full Well Capacity:     40,300 e-
Sensor Diagonal:     61.3 mm
Video Size (inch):     3.8

Nice big chip there :)

I have not looked at the price as it will be a little pricy.....

Edit : Humm oly $15,000 not as much as i anticipated

Not all astro imaging is done with cooled mono CCD's.

Mine is, and for carefully considered reasons. I've tried other options and will happily concede that these other options offer all sorts of advantages with regard to budget - but surely if you are buying a scope at this level budget is not your big concern?

Here's the crux; you buy an FSQ 106 with an 88mm circle or a 130 with a 110mm circle. Do you have the slightest hope of exploiting either of them? (No broad links, let's look at a single specific camera with price and availability.) In the unlikely event of your needing more tha 88mm, do you want a focal length of  530mm or  650mm? Me? Give me 530 any day.

I still think that the FSQ130 is a scope without a camera. For now.

Olly

Mine is, and for carefully considered reasons. I've tried other options and will happily concede that these other options offer all sorts of advantages with regard to budget - but surely if you are buying a scope at this level budget is not your big concern?

Here's the crux; you buy an FSQ 106 with an 88mm circle or a 130 with a 110mm circle. Do you have the slightest hope of exploiting either of them? (No broad links, let's look at a single specific camera with price and availability.) In the unlikely event of your needing more tha 88mm, do you want a focal length of  530mm or  650mm? Me? Give me 530 any day.

I still think that the FSQ130 is a scope without a camera. For now.

Olly

One of the main reasons I haven't yet bothered 'upgrading' to full frame/35mm DSLR is that none of my current scopes would have a hope of filling the full 35mm frame.

Not only that- the first thing we do when posting a web image is reduce the size to 1064 pixels wide! I'll stick with my APS-C sized sensors for now -

Archived