Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

astronomik pro planet 742 ir pass filter

Can anyone tell me if I were to put a 742 ir pass filter on my qhy5-11 would I see a visible difference or does anyone have a photo showing, the with and without filter  ,I read that I gives better results in poorer seeing conditions,  this would be using a sw200p .

I did read the 804  was better for 10" + so im assuming the 702 for smaller aperture

i bought an 804 by mistake, but have not tried it yet. the 742 is certainly a useful addition to the imagers armoury. i bought it mostly for lunar imaging and when the inner planets are very low on the horizon. not sure about the filter with your camera/aperture it will probably reduce your frame rates a lot.

I was thinking of buying that one for webcam imaging on my C6. Is this overkill ? shoud I just go with a basic IR filter ?

i bought an 804 by mistake, but have not tried it yet. the 742 is certainly a useful addition to the imagers armoury. i bought it mostly for lunar imaging and when the inner planets are very low on the horizon. not sure about the filter with your camera/aperture it will probably reduce your frame rates a lot.

maybe some one on sgl may have a Jupiter shot with similar combination

Would a astronomik pro planet 742 ir pass filter be overkill if I were to do imaging with a webcam (philips toucam 750k) on a 150mm SCT ?

The aperture thing for those IR passing filters is a bad thing in the description. With both you will want to use max scope resolution and there will be no difference for using those filters in 5" or 15" telescopes, the planet will just be bigger in the bigger telescope.

With color webcams and cameras IR passing filters have limited use as IR sensitivity is limited for color sensors (modern CMOS sensors handle it much better than Sony CCD where only red pixels are IR sensitive).

Personally I see no point of using deep IR filters like ProPlanet 804. Even 742 is in general to dark for Saturn (and I don't want to use a faster f/ratio at lower resolution). I use now and can recommend much broader IR-passing filters like red and orange visual filters. Those are much brighter filters and they allow low gain imaging at fast framerates. The effect on Jupiter or Saturn won't be as strong as with much deeper ProPlanets but on the other hand more VIS light in the longpass filter the better LRGB in terms of colors you will get (like on Jupiter). Moon can easily use ProPlanet, but there I also use the red visual for more light.

thanks yes I looked at the filter and it unscrews can I buy the 702 in a holder the same as the IR that keeps the sensor clean  or is there a name for this size of holder does anyone know 

You can buy a clear glass filter to put in the nosepiece and then screw the ir-filter on as usual.

• 2 months later...

Archived