SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UV filter to protect lens?

Viewmaster

I have found that adding a filter for AP often adds a lot of lens flare artifacts to the image so have stopped using them.

Alan

Seconded! I use a lens hood with all my lenses be that for astro work or general photography.

I carry a UV filter around, in case I end up in horrible conditions (at the beach for example), but very rarely use it. I always use a hood to reduce flare and protect the front element. I'd never consider using one for AP, the reflection effects from the filter are quite astonishing (maybe I just need to invest in a really expensive filter ??... Nah).

• 2 weeks later...

I posted my thoughts on this subject on a similar thread elsewhere, but just to voice my opinion again, how much protection does a filter really offer? If you drop your lens, it won't help at all. Does anyone put a filter over the front of their scope to protect it from dust (apart from when not in use of course!) Didn't think so. A filters job is to change some aspect of the view.

A filter adds optical reflections and defects, I can only see a use for it when taking photos in sandstorms and when to photo rally cars where there really are high speed dust particles in the air that need to be blocked of the UV-proctection filter. Do not use it at all, a good UV-filter does costs about the same as a new front lens of your camera lens so I do not think it is worth it to have a UV-block filter at all, just in very special cases.

Archived