Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

viewing the sun

Hi, im wondering if it's possible to vie the suns image with my binoculars.

I remember doing this when I was younger with some cheap 10x50 binoculars but Im wary of damaging the internals of my 15x70 apollos.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't go above 50mm objectives when viewing.

Thanks.

You shouldn't look at the sun through any optical instrument without the proper filters. OR EVEN WITH THE NAKED EYE!

I have seen people use Baader Solar film filters on binocs but never tried it myself as I've got a PST.

SCS Astro sell filters for binoculars :smiley: If you are unsure do not take any chances, simply ask for advice off the retailer.

Can you PM me if the sun should make an appearance any time soon :grin:

Hi Craig

Very sound advice from above PLEASE read the link that trazor posted,

In answer to your question though....with the appropriate filter and a little DIY knowledge YES you can view the suns image through binoculars, PLEASE always check the filter prior to any viewing to make sure it is not damaged in any way! YOU only get 1 pair of eyes.            however you will not see anything like some of the images you see posted on this forum, you will however still be amazed when you see the sun spots for the 1st time I know I was...

happy viewing :smiley:

You can make a safe filter for your binoculars using Baader Solar Film (you need the ND5 visual observing type like this:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html  ).  You can make a cardboard filter holder if you have basic DIY skills.  With binoculars you could make either one or two filters and use them.  I would suggest just the one.  You must make sure that the filter cannot possibly come off!!  Probably best to hold it on with sticky tape. and make sure the unused lens is covered and that that cover cannot possibly come off either - don't rely on a "snap-on" rubber cap.

If you take sensible precautions then Solar observing can be made perfectly safe.

The greatest problem you may have is that you have to look "at" the sun if you are using binoculars in this way - you may also need to make some sort of sun "blocker" shield to prevent yourself inadvertently looking at the Sun and doing some damage to your eyes.  It may ultimately be safer to buy a small telescope (and make a Baader film filter for it!) and use that.  These often come with a diagonal so that you look across the "line of sight" of the scope and therefore cannot possibly look directly at the Sun.  Maybe one of these? http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-evostar-90-eq2.html   I realise that this is an additional expense but you only have one pair of eyes and they are priceless!!

Viewing the sun through Binoculars/telescopes, will permanently damage your eyes.

Ridiculous to even consider it.

I meant viewing the suns image on white card, but thanks for your imput.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/149596-imagingobserving-the-sun-a-warning/

Are you talking about projecting the suns image with your bins? I use my 15x70's to project onto white paper, but obviously have do this without looking directly at the sun

Yes.

SCS Astro sell filters for binoculars :smiley: If you are unsure do not take any chances, simply ask for advice off the retailer.

Can you PM me if the sun should make an appearance any time soon :grin:

After some rain today, said sun was out on a beautiful cloudless evening. To be fair we've had a great September, one of the driest on record !

Archived