NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please recommend a 'first time' meet in NW/NE

Paul.L

Hi me and my partner is hoping to enter the world of astronomy by going to some local star gazing camping trips/meets or events and I wondered if anyone can suggest some around north west or north east.
We have basic star gazing eqipment but mostly want to learn and have a nice time camping.

Where is NW/NE exactly?

How far do you want to travel?

Galloway is one, Keilder another, Dalby Forest is on in a couple of weeks even Kelling Heath is an option if you are sort of southern NE.

For camping, lots to do and fingers crossed some stargazing, check the Autumn Kielder star camp thread under Starparties section - 22nd to 27 Oct, the link for the website (read Dixies comments) is referred to here. Be prepared though, wellies may be necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

I live less than a mile from here http://www.herdinghillfarm.co.uk/

Fantastic skies and next to Haltwhistle :smiley:

Mark.

I stayed at this campsite for a night whilst doing the Hadrian Cycle Way with my daughter a few weeks back. Pleasant enough campsite I guess and very family focused. I believe that there are a few astronomy events planned here and it is close to Cawfields. However and this might not necessarily be the case during the astronomy events, it was (which is typical for this type of campsite) fairly lite up particularly bright close to the facilities. 

I stayed at this campsite for a night whilst doing the Hadrian Cycle Way with my daughter a few weeks back. Pleasant enough campsite I guess and very family focused. I believe that there are a few astronomy events planned here and it is close to Cawfields. However and this might not necessarily be the case during the astronomy events, it was (which is typical for this type of campsite) fairly lite up particularly bright close to the facilities. 

Yeah, I think the "real" observing is done away from the site at Cawfields :smiley:

Depends where NW/NE is exactly...

If you are anywhere near the Peak District, Peak Star Party runs 17 to 20 October. We have built up a great reputation as a friendly and welcoming star party. Quite a few people from here are regulars (and lead some of the activities through the day) and the good folks from UKAI Will be running a live imaging session if the weather holds up. Skies are not quite as dark as Kielder but less chance of needing wellies :)

Take a look on the star parties forum or visit http://www.peakstarparty.com for details.

Archived