Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Dob Build - Top Half

Astralstroll

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mapstar,

Apologies for the late reply. I used Evo Stik 1 hour shower clear fast set bathroom sealant. Seems to stick well. I followed some previous advice and epoxy coated the plywood secondary support prior to silicon in the secondary and it seems to work well. I had to rotate the secondary by 180 degrees as I had put it on wrong. It took a while to separate the mirror from the support, even with a hacksaw so I think this sealant does the job nicely.

Dave.

Mapstar,

Apologies for the late reply. I used Evo Stik 1 hour shower clear fast set bathroom sealant. Seems to stick well. I followed some previous advice and epoxy coated the plywood secondary support prior to silicon in the secondary and it seems to work well. I had to rotate the secondary by 180 degrees as I had put it on wrong. It took a while to separate the mirror from the support, even with a hacksaw so I think this sealant does the job nicely.

Dave.

Did the secondary and kendrick dew pad last night with unibond extreme seal and this morning it seems to be bonding really well.

Fingers crossed for a patch of clear skies then a build thread and pic's of it (about time ha ha) then watch it disappear into the distance as the owner take's it away to Kelling for a star fest fingers crossed

Did the secondary and kendrick dew pad last night with unibond extreme seal and this morning it seems to be bonding really well.

Fingers crossed for a patch of clear skies then a build thread and pic's of it (about time ha ha) then watch it disappear into the distance as the owner take's it away to Kelling for a star fest fingers crossed

looking foward to see this dob mapstar

• 6 months later...

Well I have finally managed to get around to adding the last bits to this thread. The mirror was reattached in the correct orientation and the safety line attached. As you can see from the pics, the second half is essentially built, so I will endeavour to add a new thread to cover that as well.

Dave

post-22645-0-32124200-1426953387_thumb.j

post-22645-0-11942100-1426953497_thumb.j

Sadly or madly yes, I have a hankering to spend the next year planning and building a 20 or 22 inch dob. Definitely not grinding a mirror though! But before hand, I need to sort a new thread out for the bottom half of my current project.

Archived