Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Astralstroll

New Dob Build - Top Half

Whatnyou thinking of next steve ....23 inch :)

No mate, 20" is big enough.

You'll have to wait and see ;)

• Like 1

Well the secondary is off and hopefully cleaned up sufficiently for a second attempt. I think I may go for a sit down, and tackle the silicone part of the process a little later.

Dave.

How about a massive binoviewer Steve?

No definitely not. My eyes don't work properly with bino's 

Well it is second time lucky I hope. The silicone is setting as we speak. How did I manage to attach the secondary upside down? That's what I want to know.

Dave.

• Like 2

Mapstar,

Apologies for the late reply. I used Evo Stik 1 hour shower clear fast set bathroom sealant. Seems to stick well. I followed some previous advice and epoxy coated the plywood secondary support prior to silicon in the secondary and it seems to work well. I had to rotate the secondary by 180 degrees as I had put it on wrong. It took a while to separate the mirror from the support, even with a hacksaw so I think this sealant does the job nicely.

Dave.

Mapstar,

Apologies for the late reply. I used Evo Stik 1 hour shower clear fast set bathroom sealant. Seems to stick well. I followed some previous advice and epoxy coated the plywood secondary support prior to silicon in the secondary and it seems to work well. I had to rotate the secondary by 180 degrees as I had put it on wrong. It took a while to separate the mirror from the support, even with a hacksaw so I think this sealant does the job nicely.

Dave.

Did the secondary and kendrick dew pad last night with unibond extreme seal and this morning it seems to be bonding really well.

Fingers crossed for a patch of clear skies then a build thread and pic's of it (about time ha ha) then watch it disappear into the distance as the owner take's it away to Kelling for a star fest fingers crossed

Did the secondary and kendrick dew pad last night with unibond extreme seal and this morning it seems to be bonding really well.

Fingers crossed for a patch of clear skies then a build thread and pic's of it (about time ha ha) then watch it disappear into the distance as the owner take's it away to Kelling for a star fest fingers crossed

looking foward to see this dob mapstar

• Like 1

looking foward to see this dob mapstar

Clouds clouds and more clouds last night worst luck so never got a star test.

The Unibond sealant is great stuff though.

Will start a build thread next week all being well.

Damian

Well I have finally managed to get around to adding the last bits to this thread. The mirror was reattached in the correct orientation and the safety line attached. As you can see from the pics, the second half is essentially built, so I will endeavour to add a new thread to cover that as well.

Dave

post-22645-0-32124200-1426953387_thumb.j

post-22645-0-11942100-1426953497_thumb.j

Great to see an update Dave and thanks for the Pics it's looking very nice.

Damian

Yes it's been a while in happening, but it's been worth it. The trouble is I now want to build a bigger scope!

Yes it's been a while in happening, but it's been worth it. The trouble is I now want to build a bigger scope!

Oh no another case of aperturus feverus is taking hold   :eek:

Edited by mapstar

Sadly or madly yes, I have a hankering to spend the next year planning and building a 20 or 22 inch dob. Definitely not grinding a mirror though! But before hand, I need to sort a new thread out for the bottom half of my current project.