NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

4.7mm Ethos

alan potts

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

like destroying a £10.000 structure with a £100.000 missile... Ah...the humanity!! :D :D

Slightly  Completely off topic _ sorry Alan.

How is your plan of destroying the Moon coming along I mad ? :grin:

I have just purchased a 21mm Ethos and eventhough it is close to the 17mmE,it will compliment my scopes well......1.7deg TFOV in VX10 and 3.3 deg in the 90mm frac.Interestingly enough the 100' apparent field is not only why I'm buying these,it is the great optical performance.If the performance wasn't better than others by a noticeable amount,I would purchase something else.Of course this opens up the debate as to whether they are better,and if so by how much.To my eyes,on some objects there is a big difference-using dark skies that is.These things handle scatter well,offer great contrast and the detail they provide is excellent....got E&F in Trapezium with the 17E @ 70x

Hmmm - I've always been interested in the 4.7mm Ethos. I could replace a couple of high power EP's with it  :smiley:

The Nikon Nav HW 17mm costs 1,720 Euros but that does include a converter that also gives you a 14mm. 

I've recently picked up an Ethos 21mm too Gerry  :smiley: It was used though so the sale of the ES 20 / 100 covered a fair amount of it's cost.

Funnily enough I've never regretted the money I've spent on expensive eyepieces but I have sometimes rued less expensive ones.

If I were in England I don't think I could help myself and I would have to pick up the phone. Then it would have to be KFC for Christmas dinner, and Boxing day for that matter.

I agree with the expensive eyepiece comment as well John, about 60% of mine I have bought second hand and there is something nice about knowing they are about as good as it gets and you will have them for a few years. There must be a cut-off point where most people will not step, like if TV introduce a 120 degree range, I don't think I would go down that road, but 110 E4.7mm is here with us and there is no smaller version.

I guess if I were to get one the 4.5mm Delos would need a new home and maybe the 5mm Pentax.

Alan

considering you have an SCt perhaps getting the biggest FOV EP is advisable :)

I think Shaun already has a 31mm Nagler doesn't he ?. You can't get much wider than that !

Bit off topic from the 4.7mm Ethos though.

Hmmm - I've always been interested in the 4.7mm Ethos. I could replace a couple of high power EP's with it  :smiley:

The Nikon Nav HW 17mm costs 1,720 Euros but that does include a converter that also gives you a 14mm. 

I've recently picked up an Ethos 21mm too Gerry  :smiley: It was used though so the sale of the ES 20 / 100 covered a fair amount of it's cost.

Funnily enough I've never regretted the money I've spent on expensive eyepieces but I have sometimes rued less expensive ones.

sorry to go of topic...but I missed your 21E first light report John? has there been one?

I think Shaun already has a 31mm Nagler doesn't he ?. You can't get much wider than that !

Bit off topic from the 4.7mm Ethos though.

I have to climb out of the T31mm after using it :smiley:  there is so much room inside.

Well spotted young Imad :smiley:  I don't really want to go under the 72 Deg of the Delos.

I will have to check what eye relief is available also

This will probably bring you back to Ethos ...or 100-deg Explore Scientific. My ES 14mm will be here in less than 3 weeks, will let you know for sure.

You don't see too many reviews on this one. It came out late in the series and by then I guess most folks were bored of reading about ethos excellence. I've got one....on axis you can get virtually the same result with a good plossl or ortho, but the edge correction is little short of miraculous at F/4. It's a keeper.

RL

4.7mm is a bit on the high power side for me, I am thinking of swapping my 3-6mm Nagler zoom for this very reason for a 6mm Delos, but I am sure at some point I will get a second scope that does not have as greater focal length, thus I might regret it.

Archived