Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Possible lunar occultation tonight?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

peterjtmorris

peterjtmorris

Nebula

• New Members
  • 15 posts

I was using Stellarium just now and by chance happened to notice that there appears to be an occultation of Lambda Geminorum about 1.00 hours (UT) tomorrow, according to Stellarium it starts about 12.20 in London and ends about 1.20. OK, I know Stellarium is just a free planetarium program, but when I have used it for genuine occultations in the past it has been pretty accurate. But I cannot find any mention of it on the web, not even on a site dedicated to lunar occultations. I am wondering if the reason could be that it is visible here in London, but not in the USA where most astronomical sites are based? Can anyone run a more accurate program on this? Anyone know anything about it? Thanks.

• Pig likes this

leelee970

leelee970

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 820 posts

C du C also shows an occultation tonight around that time.

Orion UK 200 Europa + flocked, cooled, upgrade focuser
SW Heq5 Pro, pillar mounted
80mm F11 refractor piggybacked + upgraded focuser
Roll off roof Observatory. (built by me - never again)

Philips SPC900 LX webcam (modded by me)

Meade 10" lightbridge + mods

20x80 Binos

EP's, Barlows, filters, other stuff.....

peterjtmorris

peterjtmorris

Nebula

• New Members
  • 15 posts

OK, I have found it in the BAA Handbook (doh!), starts 00:22.6 and exits 01:15.3. As Lambda Gem is a bright star and it is visible at a suitable time, I am surprised there has not been more publicity about it. Incidentally it shows how good Stellarium is.  

JB80

JB80

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,409 posts

Stellarium is pretty good for these things, it was bang on earlier in the year for another occultation.

This one doesn't happen for me though as it just skims the side of the Moon.

Jarrod.

Skywatcher 150PL, Meade 88mm PST stage 1 mod, Celestron Astromaster 90

EQ 3-2, EQ 2, Vixen Polarie, Canon 450D, 20D, SPC 880(900), DMK 41

http://astropaz.weebly.com

BigMakStutov

BigMakStutov

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 5,778 posts
Nice spot, decently bright star as you say.

Forecast not looking great here but may get some clear spells. I do enjoy watching stars appear/disappear behind the dark limb of a part phase moon. Not sure I can do a 1am on a 'school' night though :-(

Stu

A biggish dob, a gaggle of 'fracs, Herschel Wedge and an incoming Daystar Quark!
Too many eps, finders and diagonals
One EQ and a couple of Alt-Az mounts
A love of smallish apo refractors, from 2.3" to 6"

Nearly done with changing kit......... ;-)

Pig

Pig

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 5,963 posts

I have never thought of this scenario previously, I will try and stay up tonight to see it :smiley:

Shaun

Scopes: Lunt ST60Ha Solar Scope - Equinox 80mm ED Pro FPL 53 Doublet Refractor  - HD AZ4 Dual Mount
Eyepieces: Vixen SLV 's 25 - 12 - 9 - 6 - 4 - 2.5mm - Leica 7.3 - 22mm zoom - Antares 2" x 1.6 Barlow

Filters: Lunt B600 blocking Filter -  Lunt 1.25 Hershel Wedge - Lunt Polarising filter - Baader Fringe Killer

http://stargazerslou...lar-attributes/

Steve Ward

Steve Ward

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7,065 posts

Plenty out there I found ....  :rolleyes: 

http://www.popastro....tions/index.php

http://www.lunar-occ...bstar/bstar.htm

http://www.oasi.org....mary_2013.shtml

http://www.curtrenz.com/occult05.html

• leelee970 likes this

Steve

"Mit der Dummheit kampfen gotter selbst vergebens" ( against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain )
Tal 100RS , SW Mak180Pro + Revelation focuser, SW200PDS, SW80ED Pro, SW ST120, ETX105, Celestron 15 x 70's , HEQ5ProSynScan, EQ3-2 on 14' Pier.
Canon1000D Std x 2 , SPC900NC x 3. "Scopium" Hershel wedge.

BigMakStutov

BigMakStutov

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 5,778 posts
This sort of thing looks pretty good too. I remember watching an occultation of Saturn quite a number of years ago (10 ish). Not sure when the next ones are due.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385042837.491901.jpg

Stu
  • robbie c, Helite, Pig and 1 other like this

A biggish dob, a gaggle of 'fracs, Herschel Wedge and an incoming Daystar Quark!

robbie c

robbie c

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,564 posts

This sort of thing looks pretty good too. I remember watching an occultation of Saturn quite a number of years ago (10 ish). Not sure when the next ones are due.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1385042837.491901.jpg

Stu

Wow that looks amazing 

brantuk

brantuk

Super Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,022 posts

Yes - I saw the moon/saturn occultation too - using binocs - it was fascinating. It's only one thing going behind another, but it made me realise that Earth and the Moon and Saturn were all in a straight line across the vast expanse of space at that particular instant.

No biggie really - other stuff does it all the time - but kinda magic and exciting - like an eclipse or a solar transit. :)

• BigMakStutov, Raga and Bungielad like this

CPC-925, AZEQ6 GT, 16" Lightbridge, AA 115EDT, 200P, LS60Tha B1200 DS60 PT, Meg72, Tal 100RS, SW  127 Mak, ST80, Skytee-2, SPC900 SC1.5, Canon10x42 L IS WP, 1000D (unmod'ed), 314L+ Mono, SX Efw, Lodestar.
Member of East Midlands Stargazers - EMS

Quote: "When you can take the pea from my hand Glasshopper, you will be ready to leave the monastery. But if you just take the p.... we'll kick you out".

BigMakStutov

BigMakStutov

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 5,778 posts
Found the one I saw on Stellarium, 3rd November 2001, looks like the image I posted from the interweb. I watched it through my first scope, a Celestron C150HD 6" refractor on an EQ3 mount I think.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385062241.815864.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385062262.765834.jpg

Rings were wide open at that point too, I remember seeing the Enke gap through that scope around that time, much harder these days!

Stu

peterjtmorris

peterjtmorris

Nebula

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Thanks for your responses and interest, it will encourage me to post on SGL again. Forecast does not look here at the moment.

• Tim and BigMakStutov like this

BigMakStutov

BigMakStutov

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 5,778 posts

Thanks for your responses and interest, it will encourage me to post on SGL again. Forecast does not look here at the moment.

Please do!

Apologies for taking the thread slightly off piste. Put it down to youthful enthusiasm :-)

Hope the clouds go away.

Stu

peterjtmorris

peterjtmorris

Nebula

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Looking good at the moment. Taking a break after looking at doubles in Cetus for a couple of hours.

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,005 posts

I'm going to try and get some pics of this, thank you for the heads up :)

Tim

....trying to fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run......   (Kiplings 'If...')

Telescopes That Have Graced My Obsy: Sywatcher Esprit 150ED, Quattro 10" CF, C11 HD Edge+0.7 reducer, C9.25, MN190, Borg 77ED, WO 72Megrez, Vixen A80, PST, Orion 6" newt. GSO 8" F4 newt
Cameras That Have Graced The Telescopes: Atik 11000, Atik 460ex, Atik 460ex OSC, Atik 428ex, Atik 460ex, QHY8, 350D(mod), 400D, Lodestar, DSI Pro, PL130, Neximage
Filters used: Baader LRGB Ha Oiii Sii 1.25", LRGHa Oiii 2"
Mounts: GM1000, EQ6 Pro, Heq5 Pro

In the Midlands? Come and say Hello : www.RussellsGardenCentre.co.uk

peterjtmorris

peterjtmorris

Nebula

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Well, I saw it. Lambda Gem seemed to disappear in the middle of a crater as far as I could tell. You could still see a bit of the star as it was eclipsed, at precisely 12.22. Fascinating to see, the brightness of the star made it easier. I am afraid I will have to leave the reappearance which will of course be more dramatic coming from the dark side as I need my kip, have been up very early two mornings in the last week to see Comets ISON and Lovejoy.  

• BigMakStutov likes this

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,005 posts

I saw it go behind and come out again, and got some pics, thanks again for the heads up there :)

....trying to fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run......   (Kiplings 'If...')

Telescopes That Have Graced My Obsy: Sywatcher Esprit 150ED, Quattro 10" CF, C11 HD Edge+0.7 reducer, C9.25, MN190, Borg 77ED, WO 72Megrez, Vixen A80, PST, Orion 6" newt. GSO 8" F4 newt
Cameras That Have Graced The Telescopes: Atik 11000, Atik 460ex, Atik 460ex OSC, Atik 428ex, Atik 460ex, QHY8, 350D(mod), 400D, Lodestar, DSI Pro, PL130, Neximage

Tim

Tim

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 12,005 posts

Here's the pic....

Lunar occulation 22nov2013.jpg

• BigMakStutov and peterjtmorris like this

BigMakStutov

BigMakStutov

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 5,778 posts
Glad you got to see it. Very nice image Tim.

It was cloudy here :-(

Cheers,

Stu

peterjtmorris

peterjtmorris

Nebula

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Very nice picture Tim, good to see the reappearance if only at one remove. Thanks for sharing it with us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users