Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY MOD FOR NEQ6 ALTITUDE BOLT PROBLEM

si@nite

Hi all thought I share a simple but effective mod to cure the age old problem of altitude bolt problems after the rear adjustment bolt on mine became almost impossible to move.

Theres no speclalist tools required, just drills taps and oh yes some elbow grease!

Hope this maybe of help to others experiencing similar problems!

First drill hole & tap for M10 stainless bolt.

Screw in bolt & tighten then saw bolt flush on the other side. This is where the two bolts will hit instead of the soft aluminium!

Next I drilled a hole & tapped for M12 fitting a beefier rear alt bolt (M12 x 100mm stainless steel)

The mount is now ready to reassemble you will probably need a mate for this procedure as I did!

Also the posh stainless mount covers Supplied by Martyn (Morimarty) that did require speclalist skills thanks for your help mate!

post-16599-0-56572900-1383945353_thumb.j

post-16599-0-22542600-1383945470_thumb.j

post-16599-0-33528400-1383946280_thumb.j

post-16599-0-37301100-1383946324_thumb.j

post-16599-0-37590400-1383947107_thumb.j

post-16599-0-24269100-1383948079_thumb.j

post-16599-0-64023900-1383948098_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Simon, I've realised my mount needs some diy....can you point me to a guide for removing/separating the two parts of the mount. I've removed the cover with the alt scale and am looking at the bolt head. Do I need to take the cover off the other side?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Simon, I've realised my mount needs some diy....can you point me to a guide for removing/separating the two parts of the mount. I've removed the cover with the alt scale and am looking at the bolt head. Do I need to take the cover off the other side?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Yes Scott you will have to take off the other cover because the bolt has a retaining nut on the other side!

If you go to astrobabys website it will show you in more detail, hope this helps!

To be honest with you I can't see how this helps ... the problem with bendy bolts arises from the angle that the end of the bolt approaches the part that it rests on/pushes against .

At higher latitudes the angle changes to the point where , if you are not careful , the bolt can deflect.

As I see it from your photos , all you have done is introduce a harder bearing surface at one particular point , added a hex head protrusion on one side and a non-flush surface on the other.

This does nothing to address the underlying design problem and actually causes more by not allowing the bolt ends to move smoothly over the contact surface when adjustments are made.

Better bet as you've got the covers off would be to adjust the often over-tightened friction in the alt adjustment so that the head moves smoothly and easily , and then remember to undo one bolt before tightening the other , preferably doing any major adjustments for PA while the mount is unloaded. 

To be honest with you I can't see how this helps ... the problem with bendy bolts arises from the angle that the end of the bolt approaches the part that it rests on/pushes against .

At higher latitudes the angle changes to the point where , if you are not careful , the bolt can deflect.

As I see it from your photos , all you have done is introduce a harder bearing surface at one particular point , added a hex head protrusion on one side and a non-flush surface on the other.

This does nothing to address the underlying design problem and actually causes more by not allowing the bolt ends to move smoothly over the contact surface when adjustments are made.

Better bet as you've got the covers off would be to adjust the often over-tightened friction in the alt adjustment so that the head moves smoothly and easily , and then remember to undo one bolt before tightening the other , preferably doing any major adjustments for PA while the mount is unloaded. 

Hi Steve, its not the problem so much with bendy bolts its the bolt slipping , you can see this on the first pic about 30 mm in my case! I agree with you that it does limit the alt adjustment somewhat but still allows a fair amount of adjustment in each direction, if changing location by any conciderable distance this could pose a problem! im very happy with the mod it works for me & another member who is also pleased with the result, im only putting the idea forward its up to other members if they want to try it or not

Not sure what you mean by "slipping" ... ?

All I see in your pic is the loss of paint expected from the end of the bolt travelling along the lug.

The bolt can't 'slip' along this lug unless the other bolt is not done up to it surely ... ?

If the bottom bolt becomes 'almost impossible' to move then it's either bent or the other bolt has not been loosened enough to allow it to turn .

Not sure what you mean by "slipping" ... ?

All I see in your pic is the loss of paint expected from the end of the bolt travelling along the lug.

The bolt can't 'slip' along this lug unless the other bolt is not done up to it surely ... ?

If the bottom bolt becomes 'almost impossible' to move then it's either bent or the other bolt has not been loosened enough to allow it to turn .

I don't agree Steve theres been lots of examples where slipping has occurred even with bolts tight especially adjusting with full kit on! I would preference stainless hitting stainless than soft aluminium every time, its probably not the best solution available but one that works!

Have you considered filing or grinding (with swarf protection for the surrounding mount of course!) the head of the bolt when in place at an angle which would produce a surface more apropriate to the adjuster "strike angle" required for your latitude? This should be fairly easy to do, and would answer the majority of problems raised.

Jim.

What grade of stainless bolts did you use? Normal A2 grade are a fair bit softer than normal Grade 8.8 steel bolts. Unless you've opted for A4 stainless, then you might find that your adjustment bolts will bend easier than the standard rubbish Skywatcher ones. Especially as you now have stainless sliding on stainless...as the adjustment bolt can't dig into the aluminium it is far more likely to slip, deflect and bend.

<edit> I've just noticed that you've used an M12 for the adjuster. That will be a lot stiffer than the Skywatcher one. :icon_salut:

What grade of stainless bolts did you use? Normal A2 grade are a fair bit softer than normal Grade 8.8 steel bolts. Unless you've opted for A4 stainless, then you might find that your adjustment bolts will bend easier than the standard rubbish Skywatcher ones. Especially as you now have stainless sliding on stainless...as the adjustment bolt can't dig into the aluminium it is far more likely to slip, deflect and bend.

<edit> I've just noticed that you've used an M12 for the adjuster. That will be a lot stiffer than the Skywatcher one. :icon_salut:

Hi Stephen, all bolts are A4 quality high tensile! :grin:

Hi Stephen, all bolts are A4 quality high tensile! :grin:

Then the mount will break before the bolts will!   :grin:  :grin: 

Skywatcher have addressed the problem of these bendy blooming bolts in the EQ6 AZ. Its good to see them listening to their customers.

Archived