Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Video cameras and SLR lenses

Carl Reade

Hi all, Just thought I would give a heads up on an adapter I purchased for use on the Samsung. The adapter is a C mount to M42 SLR thread to enable the use of Practika lenses I had lying around.

The adapters come for different types of lens fitting.

The idea is to get a wider FOV for the likes of Andromeda and the Orion Nebula comets etc. The good news is they work perfectly with the camera!

Will post first light when the fluffies go.

post-30085-0-38830400-1378577837_thumb.j

post-30085-0-79497900-1378577861_thumb.j

Cheers Carl

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the price and where did you get them from...look the biz..

Got a couple of Minolta slr lens that would be good to utilize. ..can't wait to see the outcome. .charging on wae the kit just now mate....getting nowhere wae the usb four channel dongle think the Muppet is chancing his arm over a week and still no came,,? Could have walked it barefoot and Nae ked there n back in a week...

Davy

Mate the adapter was £13.95 and free postage to mainland. They were over £40 everywhere else which is a bit steep. Got it from Scopes & Skies. Just check what lens fitting you need and your sorted. Might as well have wide field if you have the lenses around. This is the best thing about video from scope to lens in no time. :)

When my sammy is on the ed80 its pretty powerful magnification and the focal reducer works a treat on it now...jus can't get the clear skies. ..doing my head in..widefield is covered....just looking to tinker. ..Davy

(Inherited) Vintage 70s (best years!) Vivitar 135mm / F4 manual Pentax Fit lens! :)

post-539-0-27146800-1378633631_thumb.jpg

With a field about Three Deg on 1/2" Watec chip, envisaged as "Pleiades Cam"! :D

Seem to remember the Pentax to C-thread adaptor came from Modern Astronomy?

Cannibalised a couple of tube rings with plastic screws from Antares finder mount.

But once liberated from all-in-one "shoe" can be adjusted to fit "flat" part of lens. ;)

Only just failed re. finger removal with angle grinder. Always "vow never again"... :p

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of different adaptors - one of which can take a 1.25" filter  handy with a modded cam where you need to take care of the IR/UV ends of the spectrum depending on what your after...

I guess your using the lens wide open if it you need to stop it down and its an auto only lens then you just need to tape the pin down on the lens...

Peter...

Well havent had a full test yet due to the lovely spell of weather but havent noticed any coma effects so far on daylight tests and I have noticed that the colour was way off so have readjusted the white balance so should be a lot better on next DSO outing.

Carl

Finally got a lens test. More of a FOV test, the lens was a 200mm zoom on the Sammy. Andromeda was washed out by our old friend the moon but M110 can just be seen top left to give an idea of scale. It was stacked but not much more detail.

post-30085-0-33094800-1379856911_thumb.j

Cheers Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Group

I feel embarrassed about posting this since I am a new member and this is my first post. I posted this on the videoforum.net and Mallincam yahoo groups and Ken in Australia mentioned to me that this discussion was taking place here, so I wanted to share what I have been using. I copied and paste the post so I hope this works. Please see below

Clear skies,

Chris A

Astrogate

I just wanted to share what I have been using for my very wide field near real-time observing views of very large deep sky objects. I bought a C-mount to Canon EOS mount from Adriano Lolli in Italy and this very well made all aluminum adapter even has internal threads for 1.25" filters Adriano Lolli

I captured several large objects using my Orion 7nm Ha filter, MCX2 video camera and Canon 100 mm Macro f/2.8 lens. All images were unprocessed and as we seen on NSN broadcast. Here are some results that have had NO post processing.

Packman Nebula

Packman nebula 240 SEC X 4 Ha0131 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

NGC 7000 & Pelican Nebula

NGC 7000 & Pelican nebula 240 SEC X 3 Ha0129 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

NGC 6888 & IC 1318

NGC 6888 & IC1318 240 SEC X 3 Ha0128 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Heart & Soul Nebula

Heart & Soul nebula 180 SEC X 4 Ha0132 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Fetus Nebula

Fetus nebula 180 SEC X 4 Ha0133 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cocoon Nebula

Cocoon nebula 240 SEC X 3 Ha0130 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is my setup showing the Canon 100 mm Macro f/2.8 & 70 200 mm IS f/4 lens with the Mallincam Xtreme attached

100 mm lens

Canon 100mm Macro F2.8 & MC Xtreme (2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

70 to 200 mm lens

Canon 70 to 200 mm F4 & MC Xtreme (2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I also have a Canon 17 to 55 mm IS F/2.8 Lens that I have not tried yet because I would need a tripod adapter since in this picture I do not like the way it is mounted. This lens is an EFS lens and the glass comes further inwards but I was still able to screw my C-mount to Canon EOS mount and add a 1.25" filter without the filter hitting the glass but there is not much clearance. I hope this gives some of you some ideas for those interested in using camera lens with video camera that have a C-mount.

Cheers,

Chris A
Astrogate

Pretty impressive, thank you for sharing!

I'm also considering attaching my fiancee's good camera lens, though I am not sure if I should buy an adapter (possibly this one) or if I should print my own (sketch; ...Quickly thrown together from two mount files; ...I don't have black ABS atm, so I did not print it yet...) for the first few tries.

Thanks, that's even cheaper :-)

Oddly it does not show up on ebay.de even though I enabled worldwide search... I guess I have to use ebay.com again :-(

Thank you Ken and Marcus for the welcome. I would say don't only go for the cheaper adapter because they are not are equal. ** This one I use has internal 1.25" filter threads and several do not. Unless you have dark skies like Ken does in Australia and do not require a light pollution filter or you have no intention to use an Ha filter with your camera (not many cameras can use this filter because it requires longer exposures) then this adapter that Ken posted will work fine. Just wanted to let you know this and please keep this in mind.

Chris

seems to work well at 200mm Carl,   you've not got a 2x tele by any chance. have you tried touching it up a bit . Do another when you get better conditions and see how much more detail the lens can capture. I think it would be nice having a camera lens running side by side with the scope.

I cant find a adapter for my sony alfa lens because I've been wanting to try it out too.

Welcome Chris A. to SGL

was watching your broadcast the other night, I learnt quite a bit on how you go about adjusting the settings for a given target and how the Mallincam  works..

Look forward to your next broadcast

John

Welcome Chris A. to SGL

was watching your broadcast the other night, I learnt quite a bit on how you go about adjusting the settings for a given target and how the Mallincam  works..

Look forward to your next broadcast

John

Glad to be here and thank you very much John for the warm welcome. Looking forward to having you on NSN channel Astrogate.

Clear skies,

Chris

Archived