Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 and M87 with jet with RC8 First Light - 2 April

kirkster501

No FF/FR used, just RC8 on a 450D modded. Both pictures 60mins with 5 min subs, 120m darks, flats + BIAS. Needs more data since not enough colour.

I think scope is slightly out of collimation. But could the blobby stars be lack of FF/FR? Advice sought please?

With a CCD and perfectly collimated I think this scope could do great things.

Regards, Steve

post-16295-0-83225300-1365092268_thumb.j

post-16295-0-42909300-1365092249_thumb.j

Hi Steve, great couple of first light images,

I have the RC6 inch and with the canon 1100d i was getting

slightly eggy stars in the corners but the were roughly all the

same in each corner,

My one is now well collimated but had to purchase a artificial star to do it

long story but looking at the photo of M51 it looks more of a guiding issue than A

collimation one or maybe a little of both, one thing for sure taking photos at f9 on

mine is no joke if your not used to it, if you have a good Cheshire collimator and get

it as good as possible with that you should be there.

Paul

Thankyou guys,

Paul, yes maybe guiding inaccuracy at F8 and 1800mm. Regarding collimation, the stars all have the same "blobbiness" which makes me think perhaps not collimation then. I shall keep my eye on it.

I like the M87. As I said before I am fascinated with this galaxy.

Steve,

It looks like your focus and perhaps collimation is out on these images, but I suspect it is more likely to be focus. I have found my 6" RC a little tricky to focus, my trick to getting it perfect is slew to a really bright star and take a 10/15 sec exposure. Then use the diffraction spikes to get focused, any sign of double spikes means you are out of focus, they should be very thin and sharp.

John

Archived