Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about 0.965 eyepieces

My brother has given us a Prinz Optics model 440 refractor. It isn't in great condition having been left in someones attic for a good number of years but nothing that a good clean won't sort out. It has its original wooden mount and finder scope, but no box or eyepieces and accessories. I know nothing about this scope and can't find a great deal on the good old interwebs, other than it appears to be a seventies era starter scope. It does however appear much sturdier and better built than most toy telescopes that get sold as starters, so I would like to breath some life in to it for the kids rather than them having to stand around while I hog our main scope!

Anyway, looking around on ebay it seems that I can purchase the 0.965 screw threaded eye pieces this requires, but there isn't a large selection, and they do look a little dubious with regards to quality. Should I just suck it up and get a few of these, or would it be a better option to get a 0.965 to 1.25 adapter in order to use our current eyepieces?

Would also be interested to hear from anyone that might have experience of this telescope (or similar products from this company) to get an idea of quality and best targets. I'm guessing lunar and perhaps planetary, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Many thanks.

Hi Twiggles

I have a Carton 60mm which is similar but with longer focal length (1000mm).

I think the best option, which is what I chose, is to the the hybrid diagonal and use 1.25" eps which will be much better.

Best targets are lunar, planetary or double/multiple stars where these scopes really do well for their size.

Cheers

Stu

If I remember correctly, I got this one....

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/hybrid star diagonal/24.5mm.html

Sorry link doesn't seem to work, you'll have to paste into a browser.

Sure you could get cheaper maybe but quality of this is good.

I do have some .965 ep's but I want to keep them as a set with the Carton so won't sell even though I don't use them.

Stu

If I remember correctly, I got this one....

http://www.scopesnsk...com/prod/hybrid star diagonal/24.5mm.html

Sure you could get cheaper maybe but quality of this is good.

I do have some .965 ep's but I want to keep them as a set with the Carton so won't sell even though I don't use them.

Stu

Cheers Stu. Looking at that it says its a push fitting which is no good, this one a threaded fitting. Found an aluminium threaded converter on ebay so think I'll go with that for now. Its not a diagonal but will at least get the kiddies started for now.

Don't blame you for wanting to keep the set together ;)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, seems I was wrong about this whole 0.965 thing. I had assumed from looking at the adapter that it would simply screw on to the exposed thread I have on the focuser, and I had also assumed from research the telescope that all its eyepieces would have been attached teh same way, since I did not receive anything else with it. So I have now no idea what I need to find in order to screw on to the end and allow me to fit eyepieces. Anyone any ideas, or know where I can get them? I'm guessing my only other option is going to be replacing the focuser altogether, in which case it seems I might be just as well buying a new telescope. If it helps here is one with something to give an idea of the thread size:

I am assuming here that the .965" push fit eyepieces will fit into the tube, but that you are missing the piece which screws onto the end of the tube which has the thumbscrew which holds the eyepiece in place.

I had a Prinz model 400 as a boy, and can remember this piece. I don't know where you might get one.

What I would do is to buy the 0.925" to 1.25" adapter/diagonal and then just glue it into the tube.

Richard

I think a Blue Peter approach may be necessary, in view of the fact that the part may be unobtainable and that is to wrap insulation tape around the thread until the adapter is a good fit, it is the cheapest way to experiment and should give your children a chance to use it at least :)

John.

Does the flange unscrew from the focus tube?

That will give you a big threaded hole to work with.

I had a similar problem recently with Prinz 660 and managed to find a 1.25" eyepiece holder with a suitable thread.

I can't work out how to link just the picture, so you will have to scroll down the thread!

I think a Blue Peter approach may be necessary, in view of the fact that the part may be unobtainable and that is to wrap insulation tape around the thread until the adapter is a good fit, it is the cheapest way to experiment and should give your children a chance to use it at least :)

John.

May end up having to go down that route at this rate!

Does the flange unscrew from the focus tube?

That will give you a big threaded hole to work with.

I had a similar problem recently with Prinz 660 and managed to find a 1.25" eyepiece holder with a suitable thread.

I can't work out how to link just the picture, so you will have to scroll down the thread!

http://stargazerslou...-660-refractor/

Thaks Dave, the flange does indeed unscrew from the focus tube, leaving a threaded hole of about 1.4 inches. Will see if I can find a suitable eyepiece holder.

Archived