Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rob's 1000D Filter removal. (Hopefully)

K3ny0n

With the clouds not looking promising, I think it is time to spark the DSLR mod fire.

I have a 1000D and have not much experience with taking electrical equipment apart, but being an electrician I think I could cope with this given plenty of time and care. I am just looking at removing the rear colour correcting filter as I intend to use this camera purely for Astrophotography. How do you determine which is the rear filter? Is the rear pointing towards the LCD and the front pointing towards the front of the camera?

So, screwdrivers check. I have this set from Amazon. Printed off the screw sheet from Gary Honis's website to attach the screws to. Picked up a few food containers up to store the camera parts. Toothpicks are in the top cupboard.

I will be following Gary Honis's video, the only worrying part for me is he is modifying a 450D and some things are different, not a lot I know maybe some screws here and there. But hopefully with lots of care and plenty of time things will be OK.

Any advice, thoughts or things I have missed would be great

I will keep you updated on the progress. Fingers crossed.

Rob.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob,

Use the video in conjunction with a copy of Gary's guide

http://ghonis2.ho8.c...elmod450d1.html

Go to page 4 of the guide and down to steps 26, 27, 28 and 29.

Step 28 shows the low pass filter 1 removed, this is the filter which contains the piezoelectric element which operates on the 1000D on start up and shut down - this is retained.

Step 29 shows the filter which is removed, it is obvious when you dismantle the camera because the filter is blue and is housed in the black frame you can see in the photo.

I have this document in word format modified to apply to the 1000D only, if you want a copy I have dropped a copy in to dropbox if you use it - this is the link to download it from my public folders

https://dl.dropbox.c.../1000D Mod.docx or you can simply copy and paste each page into word and print a copy for use when you do the mod, you will find it a great aide memoire.

Good luck

Tony

Hi Rob,

Be careful putting camera circuit boards in plastic bags/boxes. You can get a nasty ESD hit to your boards that way. It would be good practice to also wear an anti-static wrist strap whilst you are taking the camera apart. One modder on this forum may have killed their camera already - they stored the parts in plastic bags. An ESD hit doesn't always show up straight away. The component affected can suddenly fail some time after the hit.

Good luck with the mod. I hope all goes well.

I've modded the 450D and the 1100D. My advice would be take care not to lose screw threads - that did me in the last time but one! :shocked: Also, don't tug too hard on the ribbon cables with the toothpick, I did manage to tear into one ribbon. And when removing the filter that you chuck away, take your time to get it out fairly cleanly. Last time I rushed that bit, thinking it didn't matter if it broke, as it was being chucked anyway. It fragmented into a lot of tiny pieces, that then stuck onto the sticky bits of the filter assembly. It was a pain to remove them!

Good luck with the mod. It's a great feeling when you take your first shots with it :grin:

I just did my 1100D and what I would say is take it easy on the screw as you can easily strip the heads on them!

+1, I meant to say that, rather than "screw threads". I don't recall having problems with the screw heads on the 450D, but the 1100D, ...

Good luck Rob, is that a can of compressed air, if so be careful when you remove the sensor assembly, the three studs which locate and square up the assembly have shims on them which are only about 10 thou thick and are loose until clamped beneath the assembly, a blast of compressed air will blow them in to space.

dyhebydy.jpgOk first disaster.. I've snapped something. :(:(:(:(

One of the small clip thingys whats attached to this..

It looks like a screw hole to attach to the metal frame, with this snapped there will only be one screw attached the the metal frame.

You can see in the picture what I have snapped off.

What do I do?

Rob.

post-18724-135721472288_thumb.jpg

Yeh you were right.. dismantled it again and seen I missed a ribbon cable. That was a very nice sight strangely.

Took some quick test shots and glad to say they have a nice pinkish tinge!

Rob.

post-18724-135722485761_thumb.jpg

Pending first proper light, well done, Rob! It takes nerves of steel to do a self-mod!

My last mod, my camera just seemed dead when trying it. To my great relief, taking out all the ribbon cables and putting them back in sorted it out. That is when I tore one of the cables, I went a bit OTT putting them back in. Luckily, it seems fine with the slightly torn ribbon cable, apart from it won't recognise a memory card, which is okay for me as I record direct to laptop anyway.

Hope you get a chance to give it first light soon. Have you got a target in mind?

Pending first proper light, well done, Rob! It takes nerves of steel to do a self-mod!

My last mod, my camera just seemed dead when trying it. To my great relief, taking out all the ribbon cables and putting them back in sorted it out. That is when I tore one of the cables, I went a bit OTT putting them back in. Luckily, it seems fine with the slightly torn ribbon cable, apart from it won't recognise a memory card, which is okay for me as I record direct to laptop anyway.

Hope you get a chance to give it first light soon. Have you got a target in mind?

I've been thinking about modding mine but I haven't got the most nimblest of fingers more like fists of ham lol. If I get the nerve I might have a go at it one day.

So relieved Luke and it is finally done :D. I only done the modification because of the cloud hanging over, which has not let me out for well over a month. I haven't done much photography yet only experimeted with M45 with my 200P EQ5 which isn't ideal so I think I will give that a shot to see the difference maybe. I'm currently saving for my imaging setup too.

Just took a few test shots to see how dusty my camera. Nothing that can't be sorted out I don't think. The Canon logo on the picture puzzled me for a while.

post-18724-0-04815700-1357226982_thumb.j

Archived