Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats this on Jupiter?

CowsonConcrete

Hi,

I realise these aren't the best pictures on Jupiter but just wondered if anyone can tell me what this is on Jupiter.

The pictures were taken at 8.40 on 23rd November from Sheffield and clearly show a moon(?) during transit.

Although on checking various stellarium and different sites I can't see any of the 4 major moons crossing at this time.

Do the minor moons throw a shadow like this or is it something else?

Thank you

Jupiter+with+Transit+a.jpg

I'm not totally convinced that isn't something in the optical train. It looks very big for a shadow of one of the minor moons.

Is the above image a single frame or a stack? And if it's a stack do you see the same effect in the same place on all the single frames?

James

definitely a moon shadow. depending on the angles the moon can cast a shadow from some distance before it's within the confines of the disk. looks likely to be Io I think.

Io would be my favourite if it is a moon shadow, too. It passed in front of Jupiter a little later in the night. Amalthea was actually in front of Jupiter at the right time for this image as far as I can tell, but I'd be surprised if Amalthea created a shadow that large and distinct.

James

It's entirely possible, Shane. I'm finding it quite difficult to "read" the image. It looks to me as if there's a slightly paler ring around the "shadow" which suggests to me the sort of diffraction ring you get around a dust bunny, but I've got to the point now where I'm not sure that I'm just seeing things because I think they might be there. It could be just that it looks like there's a paler ring because of the change in contrast.

James

PB232402.JPGJupiter+with+Transit.jpgAnd I'm back in the room.

I have now included both of the pictures I took with the "dust"/ moon on them. Picture 1 was taken at 8.45pm 23rd 0f November and picture 2 was taken seconds afterwards. I doubt a transit would be so quick but the image is in different places on the viewfinder so I'm, personally, ruling out dust.

Any ideas? and thanks for all your comments yesterday.

Well, if we said the dark spot is about 1/20th of the diameter of Jupiter that would make it about 2.5 arcseconds in diameter. Someone had best check my maths here, but I think that to be that size an object in a low earth orbit of, say, 1000km would have to be about 12m in diameter. I don't know what the average satellite size is, but 12m diameter is an awful lot bigger than an Iridium satellite, for example.

James

Hi CowsonConcrete,

I'm afraid i'd have to agree with James about the dust. It seems to me that the dust has stayed put in the optics as Jupiter has moved through the fov. But that is, of course, my humble opinion. Still a good shot of Jupiter though. Was the mount tracking between the two images?

Stevp

I've found it a nightmare to get my camera sensor completely spotless. Dust really seems to stand out on planetary images when it wouldn't be so obvious with other types of photography. It took me about an hour to get my SPC900 sensor clean to the point where I was happy with it when in "normal" use you'd never even have noticed the slight discolouration caused by the last few awkward specks. I couldn't even see them with a magnifying glass, so I was going through repeated cycles of "clean, plug in to laptop, start SharpCap, get the camera lined up on a suitable backdrop colour, check for discolouration anywhere in the frame, stop SharpCap, unplug the camera" until it was done.

James

I think it's a very large alien spaceship slingshotting around jupiter before it's final approach to take over the earth and steal all our brains... slim pickings at my house :)

On a more serious note - I captured a few undiscovered moons in my early days before I got in to the habit of cleaning the cam sensor regularly... I was well known amongst my friends as discovering the first known toroidal moon... :icon_redface:

Archived