Yet Another webcam hack

heathenwoods

Walking around my wife's shop (B&M Bargains) this afternoon I spotted some webcams for a fiver so I picked one up with the thought of hacking it for planetary use. Despite my missus forgeting to pass over her discount card I brought it home and had a quick look. A quick look became a quick fettle and within 30-40 mins I've got a new webcam...

post-17151-0-94718900-1350674435_thumb.j

I used a jeweller's screwdriver (Phillips head) to take it apart:

• 1 screw keeping the clip/stand on
  • 4 screws holding the body together

The lens/IR filter were in the same unit - the black one near teh cam in the picture. It screwed into a fitting which is screwed onto the circuit board. As you've already guessed the thread is the same as for a Phillips eyepiece adapter thingy. Not sure how I cam to have one lying around but i did so in it went, reassembling was easiest except the adapter nose didn't fit into the placeholder that the lens unit originally sat in. 20-30mins with a pair of scissors and I'd enlarged the hole sufficiently for the adapter to fit.

I plugged the cam in whilst dismantled and no LEDs were visible.

'USB 2.0 webcam' 3MP. B&M £5. Bob's your uncle.

I don't expect what i get with it will be amazing (CMOS) but I'm looking forward to experimenting :-)

Time to reassess! I tried using it in the early hours of Sunday and discovered it doesn't focus - I think I'll need to bring the chip closer in to the focuser which will need more fettling! I thought it was too good to be true that such a neat fit would work from the off! :rolleyes:

Cheers JamesF, I'll give it a go.

Tony, with regards to the following: I can post it to you and let you have a look for yourself if you like? If you're interested PM me your address and I'll get it posted later this week.

Good job Andrew.

By the way, is the IR filter removable from the original lens.

I'm looking for a non IR lens that has the same thread.

Archived