NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Could this be used to make a monster achro refractor?

Chris

I was doing a bit of Ebay surfing when I came across this interesting item:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASSIVE-VINTAGE-TELESCOPE-LENS-21cm-Diameter-5-5-Kilos-/280932969664?pt=UK_Collectables_Scientific_MJ&hash=item4168e8ecc0

I'm not sure about the focal length, the seller doesn't know much about the lens so I've sent him/her a message explaining an easy way to calculate the focal length, I also asked if they know if its a doublet or not but I assume so if its in a cell.

If this lens focal length is quite long it would make for a truly massive scope! too much for me but someone might be interested in it?

Chris:)

Hmmm well I can't see anything written on the lens cell so its more evidence for it not being suitable for a scope. People seem to be bidding on it, I wonder what they plan on using it for? I guess it would make an interesting manly ornament:D

It looks like a condenser lens to me. I think if it was a telescope lens you would be able to see a bit of the table slightly magnified. Condenser lenses were usually two lenses back to back - flat on the outside faces and spherical on the inner ones. Overall focal length would be something like 20 or 30cm (8-12") so that light from a limelight or whatever would be converged into a parallel beam.

Archived