Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DSLR ISO setting for DSO

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

zakkhogan

zakkhogan

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 553 posts
Hi all,

what sort of ISO setting should i be using for DSO's.

i went out last night (1st light with new scope) took some images of The Hershel Cluster and the Ring Nebula, but wasnt till this mprning when processing my images that i realises that i took them at ISO 100.

For dso shouldnt it be much higher?

These are my 1st real attempts at DSO's, i am please with the results,

CPC800, no wedge, and exposure times are 53sec for hershel and 27sec for Ring

Many Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• hersal cluster.jpg
  • ring nebula small.jpg

Craig (zakkhogan)
Equipment: Celestron CPC800, Celestron 102GT. Celestron Neximage, Meade DSI Colour, Canon EOS 300D, Revolution 2.5x barlow, Revolution 5x barlow, Celestron Baader Astro Solar Filter

............................"Nothing is Impossible" - Christopher Reeve

bunnygod1

bunnygod1

Bright Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,472 posts
i would have thought around 800 would be nearer what you need

pete presland
skywatcher 200pds, C9.25, celestron ed80, heq5 synscan pier mount, eq5
skymasters 20x80,15x70, 8x56 bino's,ASI120mm, dmk21au618, dslr 350d, QHY5 guide camera
lots of eyepieces, barlows, various filters etc... roll off roof observatory

zakkhogan

zakkhogan

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 553 posts
Thanks bunny,

As im new to all this, 800 ISO means that it should allow more light into the sensor, therefore capturing more light more quickly?
Craig (zakkhogan)
Equipment: Celestron CPC800, Celestron 102GT. Celestron Neximage, Meade DSI Colour, Canon EOS 300D, Revolution 2.5x barlow, Revolution 5x barlow, Celestron Baader Astro Solar Filter

Dave Smith

Dave Smith

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,497 posts
I also use 800 iso as standard but take as many subs as you can to get a nice clean image.

Dave

Megrez 90, Megrez 72 on NEQ6, Atik 460EX mono with Astrodon filters, DMK21, SkyShed POD. Celestron 9.25 for visual.
Software: SGPro with PHD for capture, Nebulosity3 for calibration, MaximDL for stacking and mainly PS CS2 for processing (also Startools and PixInsight (learner))

dph1nm

dph1nm

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,461 posts

As im new to all this, 800 ISO means that it should allow more light into the sensor, therefore capturing more light more quickly?

No, changing ISO does not affect the amount of light detected by the sensor. This is fixed whatever the ISO. This seems to confuse a lot of people, so you are not alone. However, certainly for Canon cameras, lower ISO has higher read noise, so for short exposures low ISO not optimal.

NigelM

Fullerscopes 8.5" f6 Newtonian on an original HEQ5 (with GOTO upgrade) in an Alexanders Observatory,
Nexstar SLT 102mm refractor, Canon 1000D DSLR, Panasonic TZ18 digicam, Ioptron Skytracker.
Professional astronomer working on the Pan-STARRS and VST ATLAS surveys.

Kielder Observatory trustee.

beamer3.6m

beamer3.6m

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,681 posts

ISO 800 is common.

If you go higher your images can become noisey.

The trick is to capture as many images as possible so that overall the total imaging time is as high as possible so for example 10 x 2 minute subs = a 20 minute total exposure. For great images you really need to be in the hours which is one of the reasons why this is such a dark art.

Scopes: Explorer 200p; Explorer 130p; Skymax 90
Mounts: HEQ5 with synscan upgrade; Virtuoso Mount
Cameras: SPC900NC LX modded; Canon 400D; QHY5; LX100 (video astronomy)

All the usual bits and pieces

RAC

RAC

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 539 posts
This is a very interesting read.
http://www.stark-lab...onLinearity.pdf

Mount: Takahashi NJP, Celestron CGE.
Scopes: Carbon Fiber Truss Royce Conical 10" f4 Newtonian, Televue Paracorr type 2.
Cams: Atik 383L+ Mono, ASI120MM, Canon 60d.
Camera lenes: Canon 400mm f5.6L, Canon 200mm f/2.8L II, Canon 15-85mm.
Images MY Flickr page

earth titan

earth titan

Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

• Advanced Members
  • 2,659 posts
800 here. I then adjust the exposure to suit.

Tom
Scopes: C9.25, 80mm TS Photoline Triplet APO, Explore Scientific's 12" truss dob, guide scopes etc. etc.
Mount: Obsy based NEQ6 with EQMOD. For travel - CG5 GT

Eyepeices and cameras: Whole range of Televue 1.25" plossls, 2" Skywatcher Aeros, Atik 314 L, Canon 1000d (modded), QHY5, SPC900

.......and a shed full of bikes.......

dph1nm

dph1nm

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,461 posts

This is a very interesting read.

Yes - slightly alarming if correct.

I note that in the subsequent Cloudy Nights discussion he changed his ISO recommendation to 800-1600.

NigelM

Fullerscopes 8.5" f6 Newtonian on an original HEQ5 (with GOTO upgrade) in an Alexanders Observatory,
Nexstar SLT 102mm refractor, Canon 1000D DSLR, Panasonic TZ18 digicam, Ioptron Skytracker.

Shibby

Shibby

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,775 posts
Interesting reads... I think the net result is I'm good to stick with ISO-800! For narrowband, it seems ISO-1600 might offer a slight improvement at the fainter end (given that star colour is not an issue)?

No idea what to make of the histogram shift being applied pre-RAW. What are the implications?
Lewis
SPC900 (unmodded) + Orion Mini Guidescope
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Download my Android app: Astro Panel

dph1nm

dph1nm

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,461 posts

No idea what to make of the histogram shift being applied pre-RAW. What are the implications?

The change in gain would be bad news for stacking frames with different exposure times (and potentially those with different ISOs, seeing as the shift with exposure time appears to be different at different ISOs). The removal of the dark signal may not matter, providing it just depends on exposure time.

NigelM

zakkhogan

zakkhogan

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 553 posts
so this is what happened..... went out last night... took 40 images, + darks, dead chuffed with myself.

Then.. slightly disappointed when trying stack the images, then i realized i did the whole thing at ISO100 :(

such a rucky
Craig (zakkhogan)

themos

themos

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,454 posts
We've all been there...
  • zakkhogan likes this

12" f/5  Dobsonian · 80mm f/6 triplet · 114mm f/8 Newtonian · 10x50 Bresser · 15x70 Revelation

PCVC740K · SPC900NC diy LX · modded 450D · Atik 16ic
300mm f/4.5 · 200mm f/2.8L · 135 mm f/3.5 · 55mm f/1.8 · 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
TV 2.5x Barlow · Nagler 12mm · TMB 3.2mm · Ortho 9/7/5mm · Lumicon OIII · Baader UHC-S · Astronomik CLS EOS-clip
EQ6 Syntrek/EQMOD · diy Autoguided EQ1 · diy ASCOM focuser · Binoflex ST50

zakkhogan

zakkhogan

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 553 posts
this is what i achieved at 100ISO, better luck tonight i think

Attached Thumbnails

• Hcluster.jpg

Craig (zakkhogan)

Shibby

Shibby

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,775 posts
Unlucky, sounds like a me thing to do. I remember leaving the Bahtinov on one evening...

I think you could expect a little more out of that stack. If you can upload the stacked tiff (e.g. dropbox) then I can have a little look if you like?
Lewis

zakkhogan

zakkhogan

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 553 posts

Unlucky, sounds like a me thing to do. I remember leaving the Bahtinov on one evening...

I think you could expect a little more out of that stack. If you can upload the stacked tiff (e.g. dropbox) then I can have a little look if you like?

Thanks for the offer, the problem was that deepsky stacker would register the images so i had to do it manually in photishop, nevermind.

went out last night, spent an hour out, took 26 shots + 4 darks at 800ISO and this was the result, ;)

Each frame was 15sec, total stack size was 18 frames + darks, combined was just over 4 mins.

think im going to take some more shots tonight and see if i can build on the image.

Attached Thumbnails

• m3.jpg

Craig (zakkhogan)

Shibby

Shibby

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,775 posts
Coming along nicely... DSS has a "select stars" mode that allows you to manually enable some of the stars it was not sure of during registration. This can help you get up to the threshold needed for stacking (12 stars, I think?)
Lewis

zakkhogan

zakkhogan

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 553 posts
hows this..... i took another 61 shots tonight at ISO1600, added them to the 26 i took at ISO800, run them in DSS, some slight curvs, gamma and contrast adjustments in photoshop and this is tonights results :) pleased with myself i am.....

DSS stacked 68 out of 91 frames (inc dark) for a total exposure of 13m 47sec

Attached Thumbnails

• m3 1600 gamma.jpg

Edited by zakkhogan, 24 July 2012 - 11:50 PM.

• K3ny0n likes this
Craig (zakkhogan)

Black Knight

Black Knight

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,962 posts
I'd say that's coming along nicely .... :)
Andy
NEQ6 Pro, APT, PHD, EQMod, AstroPlanner
Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher 8" Quattro, Skywatcher Skymax 127, Skywatcher ST80
Atik 314L+ and 16IC, QHY5, Canon 500D (modded)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users