Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

16" Dob - Meade, GSO or SW

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Bart

Bart

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,022 posts
Hello all,
Am seriously considering a final push to permanently address the aperture fever bug :) :eek: :mad:. I know 16" is the biggest one I could ever hope to manage. It'll be mostly used at home as I have reasonable skies, NELM 5.7 at zenith.
I'm sure everyone has views on the pros and cons of the above Dobs, so any comments would be very much appreciated.

For the record, I have a GSO 10" Deluxe and have to say, I love it. The azimuth motion on the roller bearing is very nice indeed. Would the SW and Meade be as smooth? The SW looks the most expensive of the bunch. Any ideas why?
Very much appreciate your helpful input as usual.;)

Regards
Barry

Meade 16" LB, GSO 10"
All the eyepieces I ever need (ahem!), Bad Back, LP to West

earth titan

earth titan

Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

• Advanced Members
  • 2,656 posts
The LB strips apart and is the most transportable. I can only speak from having the 12".

Tom
Scopes: C9.25, 80mm TS Photoline Triplet APO, Explore Scientific's 12" truss dob, guide scopes etc. etc.
Mount: Obsy based NEQ6 with EQMOD. For travel - CG5 GT

Eyepeices and cameras: Whole range of Televue 1.25" plossls, 2" Skywatcher Aeros, Atik 314 L, Canon 1000d (modded), QHY5, SPC900

.......and a shed full of bikes.......

Bart

Bart

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,022 posts

The LB strips apart and is the most transportable. I can only speak from having the 12".

Thanks Tom. How do you find the focusser on the LB? Do you have any big EPs that go in there and how does it manage?

Thanks
Barry

Meade 16" LB, GSO 10"

swamp thing

swamp thing

Dob the builder

• Moderators
  • 7,616 posts

Thanks Tom. How do you find the focusser on the LB? Do you have any big EPs that go in there and how does it manage?

Thanks
Barry

The focuser is rubbish. It works but it's not good I used a 31mm Nagler + 2" Powermate in mine (you aren't going to get much heavier than that) as I said it works but......I would replace.
I have used both the LB and the Skywatcher side by side and for portability reasons would pick the LB every time.
Not used the GSO, so I will make no comment on that one.

Steve

20" Swamp Dob 10" iDob 4.5' RFT

15x70 & 10x50 bins

Televue Naglers + powermate :cool:

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 25,870 posts
I've owned a LB 12" and would prefer a solid tube Skywatcher 12" over the Meade from my experiences with it. The Meade LB needed a lot of mods to make it really useful and I'm still not convinced that GSO optics are properly overcoated, judging by the number of relatively young GSO mirrors I've seen and read about needing re-coating ;)

Whether the above translates to the 16" aperture, I don't know. The 14" Flextube seemed a pretty massive affair when I had a look at one recently - the LB 16" may well be more manageable than the 16" Flextube despite my reservations over the optical overcoatings.

Edited by John, 07 May 2012 - 09:41 AM.

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3 and Equatorial x 1

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, Neodymium, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."

Douglas Adams, 2001 

earth titan

earth titan

Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

• Advanced Members
  • 2,656 posts

Thanks
Barry

I agree. The focuser is a weak point. Needs replacing ASAP.

I use a 28mm Panaview and it is fine, but not the best.

Also you may need a counterweight system.

The only reason I went for an LB is I can strip it down and fit it into the boot of the car and get the family in as well.

Tom
Scopes: C9.25, 80mm TS Photoline Triplet APO, Explore Scientific's 12" truss dob, guide scopes etc. etc.
Mount: Obsy based NEQ6 with EQMOD. For travel - CG5 GT

Eyepeices and cameras: Whole range of Televue 1.25" plossls, 2" Skywatcher Aeros, Atik 314 L, Canon 1000d (modded), QHY5, SPC900

.......and a shed full of bikes.......

Damo636

Damo636

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,865 posts
I haven't used the a Lightbridge so can't comment on that but I personally think the GSO represent much better value for money than the Skywatcher.

http://www.teleskop-...ube-Design.html

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html

Thats an almost 300 Euro saving! Add to that the better focuser, better accessories and superior alt/az bearings I personally think its a no brainer ;)

Edited by Damo636, 07 May 2012 - 11:16 AM.

Damo

Scopes 12" F5 Dobsonian

Binoculars William Optics 10x50 ED, Helios Apollo 15x70 & 20x110

tony4563

tony4563

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 466 posts
Teleskop Service are amazing to deal with.

I ordered the GSO 10" Deluxe as my Revelation 10 was getting a bit dated and I hated the spring tension system. The new ones have a better friction system and twin speed focusers. My only gripe was the black plastic tensioning knobs, replacing what used to be aluminium ones. After I mentioned it they contacted their service dept and made sure I got a spare pair of aluminium ones!

The scope and aluminium tensioners were delivered from Germany within 24 hrs of ordering. Amazing!

The 16" GSO looks a fantastic scope. Its what I'd have if i had the choice.

It's big though!
GSO 880 deluxe 10" Dobsonian
Skywatcher 120ED DS Pro
Skywatcher 180 Mak
Skywatcher 150 Mak Vixen LVW's 5 8 13 17 22
AZ4 Mount TMB Paragon 40

Bart

Bart

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,022 posts
contacted Teleskop Service today, they were back in a flash saying they're not restocking the GSO 16" as they suffer from mechanical problems, trusses don't hold collimation well apparently . Ok, so, down to the LB or the SW , the LB is moving ahead.

Bart

Edited by Bart, 07 May 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Meade 16" LB, GSO 10"

Mike73

Mike73

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,659 posts
What's the height of the EP at zenith on the LB?
I've seen a video of the 16" SW and they had to use a box to stand on, that's enough to put me off the SW straight away!

DarkSkySketches Blog

Sketches - Messiers 110/110  / RASC Finest NGC's 22/117 / Herschel 23/400

16" f/4.5 Sumerian Canopus / 10" f/6.3 VX10L OOUK 

swamp thing

swamp thing

Dob the builder

• Moderators
  • 7,616 posts

Ok, so, down to the LB or the SW , the LB is moving ahead.

Hi
As I said I have had several sessions with both scopes set up alongside (admittedly the Skywatcher was the Goto version). There really isn't much in it TBH. Both have faults. Both have dubious quality focusers (and that's being kind to both) the Skywatcher finder isnt too bad but the Meades is no better than bin liner. Seeing as the Skywatcher was a Goto version it didn't move as easily as the Meade (not many things do). You could argue the Meade moves a little too easily. Both require counterweights with big heavy eyepieces.
I don't see the Skywatcher as a portable option but some (that are prepared to do flat pack cabinet building of the mount) do.
As the Skywatcher OTA is in one piece it requires more heavy lifting than the Meade. My observing buddy that owned the 400p couldn't lift it on his own. That's not saying the Meade is light.
Both are big and heavy I would deffinitily recommend you go and see them try them and try to lift them on your own before parting with any cash.
The Skywatchers eyepiece is positioned that you will deffinitily need a box to stand on, the Meades is better placed I could just look into it at the zenith by standing on tiptoes (I'm 5'11") on the ground.

Steve

20" Swamp Dob 10" iDob 4.5' RFT

15x70 & 10x50 bins

Televue Naglers + powermate :cool:

Bart

Bart

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,022 posts
Thanks for the input gents. Wont be travelling much so it looks like a bit of a clear out of the garage is in order.... watch this space.
regards
Barry

Meade 16" LB, GSO 10"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users