Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

32mm eyepiece?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I use it on my 250p Dob, which has a lower focal ratio than yours (f/4.7 mine, to your f/6 I believe) and I get pin sharp to about 70% out on FOV, maybe more (I am only estimating, as sometimes it feels more like 85%!), with only a tiny bit of astigmatism past this. It is a major improvement to the view from the 25mm EP supplied with the scope! Contrast is good, and certainly better than the 25mm EP in that more detail is visible, and there is noticeably more pinpoint stars! Since your scope is slower than mine, I would expect you would get better performance from the EP with your scope than I do!

In terms of magnification, you would get 37.5x, which is good for Deep Sky, and your exit pupil would be 5.4mm, which is well within the limits that are recommended, as it is less than the agreed max of 7.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a newb type question about 32mm eye-pieces, and eye-pieces grenerally. I read the sticky: http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/80772-eyepieces-very-least-you-need.html

Warthogs recommendation, for an f8 scope, "To summarize, for an f/8 scope, we suggest a kit consisting of 6, 10, 16 and 24mm".

I wondered why there is no recommendation for a 32mm eye-piece? I appreciate that it is a personal view, but I have seen many others recommend 32mm for looking at DSO's and Clusters. I have f8.33 Evostar 120 refractor, would I benefit from a 32mm eyepiece for the above purposes? Also, the scope comes with a 10 and 25mm eye-piece, would it be best to go for say, a 5mm and a 32mm, or a 32mm and a Barlow? Just wondered what you guys thought?

Cheers.

CW :D

If it is of any help, I recently received the 31mm EP I ordered back at the end of October and it is now my favourite EP. It delivers a wonderful 72 degree FOV and nebulae and clusters look amazing with it! Previously my lowest mag EP was 24mm but the 31mm is in another league:) I also couldn't imagine being without a Barlow. As you spend more and get better EP's don't disregard the basic ones your scope came witrh if they still give you pleasing views:eek: My 4" refractor came with a 10mm and a 20mm. The 10mm has been consigned to the loft but I still use the 20mm from time to time:D

I am sure there will be plenty more advice forthcoming:icon_salut:

Clear skies;)

hi there as you know different scopes and different designs have different focal lenghts ... in general a long focal lenght will give you more mag , maksatov scopes have a long focal lenght mine was F15 f1500 , the drawback for lots of mag is a small field of view , so using a 25mm ep which will give a wide field of view in a reflector , but a considerably smaller FOV in a mak , there fore using a 32mm or even a 40 mm in a mak might be needed ?

hope this helps :D

Archived