Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

imaging with xbox live camera - first pic

Bumfluff

Hi Gang,

Over the weekend I found my long forgotten about xbox 360 live camera. This gave me idea!! :) I removed the lens and crudely attached it to a x2 barlow using a spare bracket from an IKEA flatpack, and some blu tack lol :)

I used Sharpcap software and this is my first image using the camera! I had Jupiter looking good but the clouds rolled in before I could take any test data.

A very quick align and stack in registax ( all default settings ) gave this image of the crater Gassendi ( I think it is :))

Bear in mind I have never used or researched imaging using a webcam until last night.

Any and all comments/criticisms/tips welcome. Thanks for reading.

regards

Greg :)

post-26500-133877689262_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive heard about using an xbox cam before but this is the first image ive seen and its actually not bad. Would like to see one without a barlow perhaps? you should find it easier to get focus. Also set the resolution in sharpcap to the maximum (cant remember what that is) and have a play with the settings. I have a set of settings that I use as a starting point and adjust from there. If your interested I can dig them out but it very much seems to depend on personal preferance and also seeing conditions. Look forward to seeing some more shots :)

I like the way this have come out I like to see more from this xbox 360 live camera.

crater Gassendi and Gassendi A look right to me.

Consider it done!! i will add more images as I take them, Jupiter is my next target, followed by Messier 42. A range of different test subjects to start with I think lunar, planetary and a nebula all easy to find and hopefully capture.

I will add pictures later of the modded camera if anyone is interested?

Thanks for the confirmation of Gassendi too :)

If anyone can offer any suggestions to improve my imaging using a webcam I would be grateful. :)

Greg

I will try without the x2 barlow on my next attempt :) the barlow I used came with my Skywatcher mak and the lens unscrews so I can easily remove the magnification.

If you could give me a starting point for settings that would be great! I did notice the resolution went upto about 1080 but i can't say for sure? The image above was taken on all default settings (resolution was 240x320) with a tweak to the gain and exposure to make the image visible.

Greg

My starting settings are as so

EXPOSURE = 14

GAIN = 33

BACKLIGHT COMP = 0

COLOURENABLE =255

GAMMA = 17

SATURATION = 29

CONTRAST = 34

BRIGHTNESS = 70

This is for my SPC900NC so might be completely different for your live cam but its a starting point

My starting settings are as so

EXPOSURE = 14

GAIN = 33

BACKLIGHT COMP = 0

COLOURENABLE =255

GAMMA = 17

SATURATION = 29

CONTRAST = 34

BRIGHTNESS = 70

This is for my SPC900NC so might be completely different for your live cam but its a starting point

Nice one Nova. Thanks, I will update this thread with any new findings when we next have some clear skies!

Greg

Hi gang,

well last night I managed to have another go at imaging Jupiter with the xbox live camera, this time without the x2 lens. Below is the result but bear in mind I am hopeless at processing images so feel free to improve it if you can!

This was taken using my 127 mak (image below) using frames from a 4 minute avi of approx 730 images (best 20%) default settings align and stack in registax. I'm quite pleased with the result but I know I can do better next time!

Thanks for reading!

clear skies

Greg

post-26500-133877692858_thumb.jpg

post-26500-133877692863_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve,

I must admit it took a while to find the object as the image can disappear off screen if the settings aren't right. I found this out after about 30 minutes trying to find Jupiter, then I realised it was just gain or brightness too low making it seem invisible.

A good learning experience though, next on the agenda is to aim it at Orions nebula and see what i can get out of that using the xbox cam.

As before I will post any pics in here as they come off the registax press!

Greg

I'm very new to this (just starting actually!), but I am so impressed by what can be produced by blu-takking a webcam to a good scope! Those images are amazing! Congrats!

It'd be great to see what else you are able to accomplish as you refine your technique.

Due to the camera's inability to take long exposures I doubt you will get much out of the Orion neb but im very keen to see the attempt. Let us know how you get on

I thought this too but I found a thread on here via google about using an eyetoy (Sony PS equivalent to the xbox live camera) with some pretty impressive results of the Orion Nebula! Not sure if the cameras have vastly different spec though?

Here is the link to said thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/120092-webcam-orion-nebula-wip.html

Will keep this thread updated with any findings and/or new pics!

Greg ;)

Intresting cheers, shame there isnt more info and I cant see the pics. It mentions a modded cam, depends if he just means the lense removed and a nose piece added or if it has had some for of LX mod done to it. Look forward to the results ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The xbox cam works just as good on it's own looking up at stars with it's long exposure from settings few modifications like removing the red glass filter making it infrared

xbox live vision cam uses ccd sensor.

I have actually sent off for another xbox cam which will modify to telescope sometime :) cheap ccd cam you can buy for around 5 pounds look in local games stores of ebay.

great image of moon by the way :)

That Jupiter is stonkingly good!

Two comments relating generally, does anyone know if the Philips nosepiece fits the xbox 360 cam? And the reason I ask is the seocn comment - It fits the playstation 2 eyetoy series, both the black one and the smaller silver one (which has a handy function as a usb flashdrive).

Anyway, keep it up, it's better than any of my efforts with the Philips.

I have a philips nose piece and an xbox cam at home. Im happy to give it a go when I get home and ill let you know. I do have an eye toy as well but the kids still use it and dont think they would appreciate me ripping the lense out of it

I have a philips nose piece and an xbox cam at home. Im happy to give it a go when I get home and ill let you know. I do have an eye toy as well but the kids still use it and dont think they would appreciate me ripping the lense out of it

lol, cheers.

I discovered that the original eyetoy (Namtai, I think) is a single PCB with the CCD mounted on the flat so it only about 5cm x 2cm and the casing is all just empty space. I dare say it'd be dead easy to make a plasticard housing for it if someone was so inclined.

That Jupiter is stonkingly good!

Two comments relating generally, does anyone know if the Philips nosepiece fits the xbox 360 cam? And the reason I ask is the seocn comment - It fits the playstation 2 eyetoy series, both the black one and the smaller silver one (which has a handy function as a usb flashdrive).

Anyway, keep it up, it's better than any of my efforts with the Philips.

had a go at attaching the nose piece to the xbox cam. it looks as though the thread is the same but it needs to be longer. ther xbox cam has a white cone that stops the nose piece going in.

That look very similar to the nose piece I have. The section behind the thread (8mm long x 18mm dia) is the same size as the opening in the white cone on the front of the cam. It wont go in. could measure the opening and compare it with the dims on the FLO page

post-27026-133877700093_thumb.jpg

Archived