SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

imaging with xbox live camera - first pic

Bumfluff

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Xbox cam live visions are awesome ;)

they work just as good on own with bit of modifiying

Here star system orion took with my xbox cam.

stargazing_cliff-albums-stars-picture14641-orion-star-system-drawed-taken-modified-xbox-live-vision-cam-without-red-filter-making-infrared.jpg

stargazing_cliff-albums-stars-picture14640-orion-star-system-taken-modified-xbox-live-vision-cam-without-red-filter-making-infrared-using-deskshare-webcam-monitor-5-taking-snap-shots-skies-every-ten-seconds.jpg

Tintin box mod ideal for when it snows just flip lid

stargazing_cliff-albums-cam-modifications-picture14643-tintin-box-mod-modified-xbox-live-vision-infrared-cam-i-have-outside.jpg

Xbox cam have the options of long exposure and in MJPG or YUY2 maximum frames per seconds cam can have is 60 in 320 x 240 mode i usually have cam in 30 frames at 640 x 480.

I too use an xbox webcam, and so far it has served me well in getting introduced into webcam astrophotography. I have attached some of the images I have captured with it. Whilst I am no expert I am quite happy with the pics considering I am using a rather cheap set up.

there great images. this camera is continuing to impress. Think im gonna have to have a play with mine and compare it to my philips.

Cliff you mention the xbox cam is already able to take long exposures. can you go into any more detail? what needs to be done to achieve it? what capture sodtware should i ues and what setting? I you have a primer id be keen to give it a go :)

Hi Nova

What i did to my xbox cams is

How to modify xbox live vision cam to infrared

Gently unscrew the lens pull out, then small screw driver go along sides of plastic casing mite damage plastic little then lift and it click up the plastic casing remove that then where led's are use screw drive slightly gently clip along led's till it breaks the led lights, they just heat the cam up too much, then unscrew the screws on circuit board and then unscrew the scews where the black circled plastic is, then remove the red glass filter and then screw black plastic back together again and click case all back together and cam's ready to attach to telescope or put normal lens back on it and it's infrared cam you can also add the black stuff from inside of floppy disc or inside of them disposable 35mm camera film for extra effect.

stargazing_cliff-albums-cam-modifications-picture14660-xboxmod.jpg

once done this mod the cam will be very very sensitive to light.

The software i use and settings is

I use deskshare webcam monitor 5 security software

u can download from

Click here to download deskshare webcam monitor 5

then i just set timer to take snap shot

stargazing_cliff-albums-cam-modifications-picture14659-xbox-video-setting-4.jpg

then set cam settings to this exposure.

stargazing_cliff-albums-cam-modifications-picture14658-xbox-cam-setting-2.jpg

Cam property settings

stargazing_cliff-albums-cam-modifications-picture14657-xbox-cam-settings-1.jpg

Then video settings

stargazing_cliff-albums-cam-modifications-picture14656-xbox-video-setting.jpg

I just put cam outside on window ledge with the usb cable been long enuff and leave it take images of skies.

Hi gang,

I have only just noticed my thread has had a bit interest since my last visit! Due to the lousy weather (and Skyrim xbox360) I have not set up for a couple of weeks.

Well if the clouds stay away I will most definately be aiming my scope at M42 tonight to try out the camera on a nebula.

Oh and a thank you to Chris for posting how to remove the filter in the xboxcam, I did wonder if it would come out easily or not but I didn't want to damage the camera trying to remove it!

Greg

Well embarrassingly, I somehow broke my old camera after removing the filter. I had a new one delivered today, (fiver from Amazon) I have removed the filter and it still works... (helps if you use proper tools!)... So, hopefully tonight I will be able to try it out.

Well embarrassingly, I somehow broke my old camera after removing the filter. I had a new one delivered today, (fiver from Amazon) I have removed the filter and it still works... (helps if you use proper tools!)... So, hopefully tonight I will be able to try it out.

Exellent cams have to take some pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How to modify xbox live vision cam to infrared

Gently unscrew the lens pull out, then small screw driver go along sides of plastic casing mite damage plastic little then lift and it click up the plastic casing remove that then where led's are use screw drive slightly gently clip along led's till it breaks the led lights, they just heat the cam up too much, then unscrew the screws on circuit board and then unscrew the scews where the black circled plastic is, then remove the red glass filter and then screw black plastic back together again and click case all back together and cam's ready to attach to telescope or put normal lens back on it and it's infrared cam you can also add the black stuff from inside of floppy disc or inside of them disposable 35mm camera film for extra effect.

stargazing_cliff-albums-cam-modifications-picture14660-xboxmod.jpg

once done this mod the cam will be very very sensitive to light

Thanks Cliff - I found that very helpful in opening the Xbox Live Vision to disable the LEDs, and managed to use it to photograph the moon :icon_scratch:

supprisingly good pics,and good fun to be had being experimental,cheap too.i bought a philips spc and i dont expect it ll be much better quality.o well,more money wasted.looking forward to orion pics.you should share pics on xbox forums,people would be amazed.ive got a box of old webcams,been meaning to rip them apart and experiment,you ve given me inspiration to go for it,cool.

would be interested to see at what point you get noise on x cam,is there a way or setting where you can expose indefinatley,to your time?

i actually done this ages ago ,never really bothered with it after my first nite out with it ,...the pic's u guys are getting with it are great :D must have an other go with it hears a link to the post of when i did it ,pic's of how i connected it to the scope an all :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/144175-help-taking-apart-xbox-cam.html

i actually done this ages ago ,never really bothered with it after my first nite out with it ,...the pic's u guys are getting with it are great :) must have an other go with it hears a link to the post of when i did it ,pic's of how i connected it to the scope an all :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/144175-help-taking-apart-xbox-cam.html

Nice one i mite test one of me xbox cams with pair of 10 x 50 binoculars have orginal xbox lens pressed against binoculars mite pick up stars gunna test when skies clear again.

i never seem to find way how connect cam with binoculars like do with telescopes :)

had a go at attaching the nose piece to the xbox cam. it looks as though the thread is the same but it needs to be longer. ther xbox cam has a white cone that stops the nose piece going in.

If you disassemble the case you can easily cut off the Xbox camera's nose cone with a small hacksaw - then an Phillips SPC900NC or Toucam adapter should fit fine. Blog link, including this photo of the end result:

CIMG6204.JPG

You can probably do this without first opening the case if you are very careful not to cut too deep - but you risk damaging the provided lens and perhaps putting undue pressure on the mounting thread.

Archived