Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Viewing the zenith

Bart

Folks,

Is there a trick to viewing objects at or near the zenith when the binoculars are mounted onto a regular head on the tripod. Do I need a special adaptor as the handle is actually preventing me from getting the bins orientated upwards? Any advice appreciated.

Bart

It depends on your tripod. The one I use is fine for viewing th within a few degrees of the zenith as long as I have the centre post extended enough for the handle to clear the tripod head.

However I am planning on making a Parrallelgram mount which should allow me to view the zenith from the comfort of a garden lounger rather than breaking my neck with my current setup.

Hi Bart,

I'm the same as Hobbes, as long as the centre post is giving clearance from the tripod head I don't have any problems. I also keep some Ibuprofen gel handy to deal with the crick in my neck if I've viewed at Zenith for any length of time! :)

Brantuk,

Sure have, using a lounger with the 10x50s with a nice blanket is great. Less enjoyable with the 15x70s and even less so with the 20x80s (cheap and not fantastic)

Do I need a special adaptor as the handle is actually preventing me from getting the bins orientated upwards?

I have to mount my bins the wrong way on my head, e.g. with the handle pointing away from me instead of towards me, to point them straight up. Can you do this with yours? If not then you might need to buy a new head.

As I usually sit on my camping stool whilst using the bino/tripod, I find that tipping the tripod back towards me (on two legs, i.e. the 'forward' leg lifted off the ground) allows the zenith to be observed quite comfortably, should I need to view that high...

Archived