Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Minimum kit needed for Saturn imaging

Gina

I'm thinking of imaging Saturn but I think my equipment may not be up to it. I'd be grateful for views on this, please. Also, if anyone has managed to get images with the sort of scope and mount I have.

I have a Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ HD with the German EQ2 mount. The supplied motor drive I know is not much good and I'm hoping to make something better. I have various CCD image sensors including a Sony Super HAD 0.001 lux CCTV sensor, Philips Vesta webcam which I can modify for long exposure and also an MS Lifecam HD Cinema sensor which I believe is CMOS and can't be modified for long exposure, though it is much higher resolution. I see many people have gone for the Philips 880/900 webcam so I might buy one of those - they seem to produce very good results.

I'm considering saving up for the NexStar 8E as several members here use one of them, if my present kit is unsuitable, hence my request for your views.

Thank you

Regards

Gina

Gina, the LX mod will not help with imaging planets and the moon. You're looking to capture a large number of frames in the shortest period of time. The challenge is to get image scale in the first place, and that requires a longer focal length. It's not impossible to achieve with shorter focal length scopes, under 1000mm, but it requires barlows... which can and probably will degrade the image quality. The next issue, is the tracking... as you push up the magnification, so the tracking requirement becomes more accurate to keep the target in the field of view. (I was struggling to keep Saturn on the chip with my HEQ5 the other night but I had pushed the magnification a long way...). The larger sensor of the lifecam will reduce the image scale, but I suspect the lifecam is going to be your best option, as it's USB2, compared to the philips USB1 meaning you can get the video feed from the camera faster without causing compression issues in the data.

Of course, like any part of imaging, give it a try and see how you do. Keep the mount at it's lowest setting, as that will help with rigidity.

As to the final point, the NexStar is going to be a better bet for this sort of thing, as it's a much longer focal length scope (in probably a shorter tube)...

Yes, I think I'd go with what you've got, see how you get on and work your way up from there. As someone who's just started trying to get some images I think there's a lot to learn and much of that can be done without spending huge amounts first. And, if you do then want to change things, you'll know why you're doing it.

Saturn is a bit awkward to image at the moment though. It's relatively low in the sky so there's a fair bit of atmospheric distortion and sufficiently good seeing has been pretty rare. I'm not very happy with most of my images (and I've racked up a lot of hours experimenting), but I'm still learning and keep trying. I think I'm going to try doing some imaging of the moon as well as it's a somewhat easier target and it's always helpful to have some sort of positive outcome having spent five hours outside hunched over a laptop :)

James

i started of with the skywatcher 130p and a webcam, free software and processing from the web. although the scope being f5, you can add a 2 or 3x barlow to increase the ration to f10/f15 then you should be able to get some very good images.

as a rule lower f ratio for deep sky imaging and a bigger f ratio for planetary imaging, this was one of the reasons i went for a good all rounder, an 8se, by putting a focal reducer on the rear it covers all imaging areas reasonably

For LifeCam HD/Cinema cameras you need only f/10-12 to get the theoretical max scope resolution (3 x 3 micrometer pixels). Those webcams are more sensitive than SPC880/900NC (and probably could competite with DFK/DBK). And you have 30 FPS :)

Thank you for that info :) I have a 2x Barlow (and a 3x as well). My main problem is an accurate enough motor drive but I'm working on that. I have motor and gear train sorted out but could do with a clutch so that I can manually move the scope with the worm drive.

Thanks again

Gina

Archived