Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASCOM - Timed switch-off tracking?

Hi,

Is it possible to program ASCOM to turn off the tracking at a set time? I want to be able go to bed, leaving the scope to image for, say 4 hours, then stop guiding to avoid it hitting the pier or something. At the moment I got to bed and set the alarm, so that I can go out and turn it off manually! And would stopping the tracking 'confuse' PHD?

I'm no expert but could you not set an RA limit? When the mount meets that it will stop dead in its tracks. Only a guess, mind you!

I must admit to being interested in the answer myself as I too have to get up for work and need my sleep!!

Thanks guys. I try the software option. If that fails, it'll be the mains timer cut-off, which sounds a bit clunky and drastic, but effective!

I'm no expert but could you not set an RA limit? When the mount meets that it will stop dead in its tracks. Only a guess, mind you!

I must admit to being interested in the answer myself as I too have to get up for work and need my sleep!!

Yes, If using EQASCOM that's all you have to do.

If you specifically want to image for two hours then just move the RA axis two hours on from your target and set the RA limit. You can have EQASCOM automatically park at the limit if you wish or just have it stop tracking.

Chris.

Yes, If using EQASCOM that's all you have to do.

If you specifically want to image for two hours then just move the RA axis two hours on from your target and set the RA limit. You can have EQASCOM automatically park at the limit if you wish or just have it stop tracking.

Chris.

Thanks Chris. I'll have go at that. I tried it last night with the crude mains timer switch-off. It worked fine, but not the tidiest way of doing it!

Archived