NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M104 - Sombrero Galaxy

JonTT

Hi, managed to grab some clear sky last night and get 4x5min subs of M104. I've managed to get my SX-A0 running at last, but it still won't bump the scope in the Y-axis properly so having to nudge it by hand every so often. Very little processing done on this, feel free to improve it!

post-21823-133877558726_thumb.jpg

Great dust detail!

Only one suggestion - personally I'd be tempted to scale the stacking so that none of the stars or the parts of 104 are saturated (ie the value of the pixel doesn't go over 65,000ish if it's 16bit). That way you'll pull out the intricate detail and give a more 3D effect to the stars and image as a whole.

You can then use curves to fine tune, bringing out further low level detail without causing saturation of the brightest stars/core.

Thanks Oldfruit, I should have spotted the stars oversaturating - good suggestion from Nick. May try some RGB when I get the chance, but really want to get some time with M51...

The second one's a great image.

Was that taken with the DMK? Someone on another thread queried if there were any decent DSO images taken with a DMK, and this certainly proved that's true! Mind you, not all of us have a 14". What exposures did you use?

EDIT - Ah, I see you've just changed your signature to include a QSI 583. Presumably you used that?

Wow! was that from Cheshire?... thought you would have to be on the south coast to get a chance at this.. looks like I'll be dragging my gear up Coniston Old Man at the weekend :D

Wow! was that from Cheshire?... thought you would have to be on the south coast to get a chance at this.. looks like I'll be dragging my gear up Coniston Old Man at the weekend :D

LOL.. Take Angus a biscuit. :rolleyes:

Nice improvement on the second one, looks very good for 20mins of data.

Archived