NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alternative Telrad dew protection ?

After a slightly annoying dewing of my Telrad last night, i was wondering on the alternatives for dew prevention.

I currently have a plastic sheath type of thing i bought off astroboot a year or so ago with velcro fastenings, didn't really help much.

I've seen the specific Telrad dew shield, does anyone own one and are they good:

Telrad Finder Dew Shield | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

I've also seen the heated Telrad dew tape but then you have to buy a controller and it gets silly money. Are there any alternatives ? Homemade or bought?

Thanks

Al

I have a plastic dew heater block that slides under the glass and is connected to my dew heater, works extremely well.

Hi Doc, do you have a link please?

Hi Rowan, thats almost exactly what i have. It didn't work very well im afraid. Mind you, a few of my targets last night were near the zenith.

Thanks

Al

Hi Al

A Telrad has no optical glass as such. So just dab it with a soft dry cloth or some tissue.

That's what I do.

Regards Steve

I'm with ST on this one. No point going in to any kind of expense sorting out a little damp on what is essentially a piece of plate glass. Use the dew shield to lengthen the time before it dews up and then when it dose just give it a quick wipe with a Kleenex simplez. :icon_eek:

I too use that deluxe heater. I connect to a deep-cycle marine battery via a dewbuster (which regulates the voltage going to the device). In general, 12V is over-kill and will drain your batter unnecessarily.

Archived