NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first serious DSO pics

paul101

hi

These are the my first proper DSO pics using my DSLR and 8" PDS newt.

They have been stacked in DSS and then processed in Paint.net (not MS Paint).

post processing is a bit of a learning curve! but im quite pleased with the results.

Next time i will use more exposures, ill aim for around an hours worth and maybe longer exposures as these are all made up of 30sec ones.

hope you like!

any comments or tips welcomed.

These pics are not as detailed as originals as they would be too big to put on the site.

post-24712-133877556885_thumb.jpg

post-24712-133877556892_thumb.jpg

post-24712-133877556902_thumb.jpg

post-24712-133877556909_thumb.jpg

post-24712-133877556916_thumb.jpg

post-24712-133877556921_thumb.jpg

hi billy

thanks for your reply.

What are sky flats? i tried taking normal flats using a whit T shirt over the telescope but i took them with the wrong iso so didnt use them.

is it the flats that reduce the vignetting?

i took some darks but DSS produced better pics without them.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

thanks for the feedback. i had one more good night so i had another stab at M51. another quite short exposure but i am pleased with the result. i feel like i am learning loads each time.

post-24712-133877564703_thumb.jpg

Good start.

Yes, flats will reduce or remove the vignetting and the odd dust bunny as seen on the pics. The easiest way to do flats is with an electroluminescent panel, the best probably being these, ready to go;

Gerd Neumann jr.-Aurora Flatfield Panels-

In the UK you can get a panel to put inside DIY protection like Perspex, from Earlsmann, I believe.

Aim to get the peak brightnesss to be about half way up the brightness scale of your camera.

If darks are not working they were probably not at the same temperature or ISO/exposure time as your lights. Temperature is tricky with DSLRs because the chip temp changes quite fast.

Looking forward to more,

Olly

Archived