Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime Planetary Observing...?

Would that be accurate enough

Should get you close Greg.

Another way would be to centre on the sun or moon if it's up and set your RA/DEC circles

then sweep over to the planet coordinates.

Worth doing, I've viewed Jupiter many times at daylight, great fun :rolleyes:

No the Sun isnt included.

What i did was to use Starry Nights to give me the Ra/Dec and move the mount until the display on the handset matched Starry Nights.Then i fine tuned the mount until the Sun was in the center of the eyepiece.

Then moved the mount by the handset until it matched the Ra/Dec but was looking through the finder until i spotted Venus.

A bit of a bodge way of doing it ,but hey it worked :rolleyes:

Little bit off topic but....When I got up at 7am today (Bl00dy kids) I noticed Jupiter was shining nince and bright in the dawn sunlight. Got the 'scope setup but I could not get focus on Jupiter with anything under (or over?) a 12.5mmEP. Was this just due to the early morning Sun causing air curents etc, or maybe as Jupiter is still too low?

Just a bit worrying as I was playing about with collimation the other day :rolleyes:

7am? lightweight hehe, I was up at 5am with my daughter grrrrrrr

Anyway.... the moon was nice and bright and the sky was clear as a bell. Best night i've seen in some time. Saturn had a quick peek but only for 30 mins as it was blumming cold! Daytime viewing is the way forward im sure!

7am? lightweight hehe, I was up at 5am with my daughter grrrrrrr

5.30am for me! Fantastic sunrise this morning....The way I look at it ..You get more "Value" Out of the day!

Anybody up for a M42 taken in the daytime.

I will stump up a bottle of plonk for the first one who manages it

A bottle of Mertlot ...Per chance :wink:

The gloves are off.. :rolleyes:

No the Sun isnt included.

What i did was to use Starry Nights to give me the Ra/Dec and move the mount until the display on the handset matched Starry Nights.Then i fine tuned the mount until the Sun was in the center of the eyepiece.

Then moved the mount by the handset until it matched the Ra/Dec but was looking through the finder until i spotted Venus.

A bit of a bodge way of doing it ,but hey it worked :rolleyes:

This is exactly the method I've used to observe all 6 unaided eye planets, as well as many first magnitude stars, in broad daylight. Nothing bodge about it! I generally have located Jupiter before sunset at Grand Canyon doing this before the compuer GOTO guys can find the Sun. 8) Knowing the exact time makes this more accurate, too.

Archived