Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn Observer's Log Sheet

Ad Astra

Hi Folks,

I posted this on the beginner's page with lots of extra help and advice, but I think this should be perfectly obvious (and I hope helpful) to everyone who hangs out here.

The only thing you may be unfamiliar with is the "box method" for drawing Saturn. (I give you a template for this on the observation sheet B) ) You simply note how far out the rings extend from the planet on the long axis, and how far above/below center the rings extend (on the short axis). This gives you a rectangle that overlaps the disk of the planet and exactly defines the elipse shape of the rings and helps you draw shape and size accurately. A similar rectangle for the inner edge of the rings will determine the width of the rings and make your sketch very accurate.

I hope that some of you will scan and post your observation sheets here so we can all share them. :)

Cheers,

Dan

Saturn Observer's Log.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

After a great night observing Saturn last night, I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to make a record of what I had seen. But I was not sure what I should include. Then today I found your Observer's Log Sheet posted here. Perfect timing, thank you.

I shall print a few off to keep in the observatory.

Liz

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Liz,

Glad to know someone's enjoying it! :)

Lots of downloads, but no other comments so far. I rely upon my SGL friends to keep me on my toes and point out where the activities need improving. ;)

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent Pat!

Let me know how it works for you. If you like that one, you can search for "Join My Astronomy Class" on the beginner's forum and gets many more activities for free.

Dan

Hi Folks,

I posted this on the beginner's page with lots of extra help and advice, but I think this should be perfectly obvious (and I hope helpful) to everyone who hangs out here.

The only thing you may be unfamiliar with is the "box method" for drawing Saturn. (I give you a template for this on the observation sheet :p ) You simply note how far out the rings extend from the planet on the long axis, and how far above/below center the rings extend (on the short axis). This gives you a rectangle that overlaps the disk of the planet and exactly defines the elipse shape of the rings and helps you draw shape and size accurately. A similar rectangle for the inner edge of the rings will determine the width of the rings and make your sketch very accurate.

I hope that some of you will scan and post your observation sheets here so we can all share them. :D

Cheers,

Dan

good evening is there any other way i can open this file as haveing problems downloading it many thanks tony

Hi Tony -

I'm attaching this as a PDF for you.

Cheers,

Dan

good morning

thankyou have managed to open with new link sorry about email

the block all sorts of attachments thankyou for all your help.

Archived