Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whats that I can see

Mr Spacely

Sirius is just to the lower left of Orion (your left, not Orion's) and it generally twinkles, which a planet does not. If it tells you, "I'm the brightest star in the sky!" you can ask "Are you Sirius?" (Mnemonic I used to get my Cubs and Scouts to remember the name.)

So back to my original sighting, Sirius appears to look like a pale yellow planet then?

Never knew a star would look like that, never thought I would be able to view a star, it looked like a smaller version of the moon

Um, no, Sirius looks like a bright, bluish-white star.

It wasn't sirius. You can't mistake the pup's colourful twinkle. It might have been Saturn, but I'm sure you would have noted its proximity to the sun. It was probably venus if it was very bright and late in the afternoon/early evening. Betelgeuse is clearly orange, but could be mistaken for yellow, and doesn't twinkle very much. It was in the south east, whereas venus was in the south west.

Hope we identify this one.

Andrew

Sounds like your looking at Venus to me, ot your scope it out of focus, which makes everything look like round fuzzy discs

Kain

As I am totally new to this each day is a learning curve :?

Now realize I was over focusing as tonight when I have been looking at the stars I can re-create last nights observation on all of hem

Fuzzy discs :withstupid:

Found Saturn again though 8)

Archived