Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob and wax

I have been reading up that polishing the Dob mount (on the painted side that runs over the teflon pad) helps to improve the ease at which they move.

Has anyone tried this or have any tip as to wax or polish to use or stay clear of?

What happened to Sir Issac? I'm a little worried about using it now.

I have the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dob, can anyone confirm if they have used Turtle Wax with this scope without any problems before I plough on and make a mess of it?

I've done similar things with PC's where trying make them better (upgrades, over clocking etc etc etc not turtle wax lol) and made them worse. Last thing I want it to make things worse.

Turtle Wax is widely applauded in Dobbing circles. Sir Isaac was rendered impossible to use by the application of a French silicone polish. Once repolished with Turtle all was well. The key thing about Dob bearings is that the moving friction of the bearings must be as close as possible to the static friction. If it isn't, you have to push harder to get moving than to keep moving and so you constantly overshoot. Teflon pads, Ebony Star formica and Turtle Wax are the Rolls Royce combination.

Olly

Ahhhh ok thanks. Turtle Wax it is then. Thanks for all your help guys.

Something to leave you with though:

Q. Why is Turtle Wax so expensive?

A. They only have tiny little ears.

Sorry about that. Couldn't resist. TAXI.

Archived