Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To tripod or not to tripod?

I have my bins and I was going to get a Horizon Heavy Duty 8115 tripod but I am not sue if its worth shelling out just under £100 for the tripod and L bracket when in November I am buying my scope!

In my own honest opinion, I prefer using bincs, especially heavier or higher powered ones, along with a sun lounger. Makes viewing a pleasure(especially for your neck) and cuts down the vibrations, somewhat.

Andy.

It's surprising how much more can be seen even with 10x50 binoculars when they are steadily mounted. I found I could only hold 15x70's still for a few minutes at a time.

Whether you need something quite as heavy duty as the Horizon 8115 I don't know - I'm considering one of those for my 25x100's.

I have my bins and I was going to get a Horizon Heavy Duty 8115 tripod but I am not sue if its worth shelling out just under £100 for the tripod and L bracket when in November I am buying my scope!

Hi Mrs R!

OK, first opinion; no. Either put the £100 towards a better scope, or eyepiece/s, or buy a cheap scope which includes a tripod off eBay. This option would allow you to sell it when you get your new one, without losing much money.

Just my initial thoughts

Max

Even on a lounger I couldn't hold my 15X70s steady enough. I use a camera tripod. Bins offer a different view to scopes, much wider, and are not going to be redundant when you get your scope. Second hand tripods are easy to find locally. Car boots, etc. I have quite a few scopes but the 15x70s get lots of use.

Olly

You don't have to stop using your bins when you get a scope so I say buy both. The tripod will vastly improve the views you get through the bins, just because they're being held steady, so it's not really a waste of money.

If you need a tripod then why not a less expensive one. I use a spotting scope on a very lightweight tripod and that is with 45x magnification. Used that combination for Jupiter a few months back as it was a simple case of stand at front door, point and look.

Shake only comes into it when you are holding the scope to adjust and I get that with the lightweight tripods as well as the heavier ones I have. It is caused by vibrations from the hands through the scope so is present which ever tripod it is on until I let go of the scope.

There are some fairly solid ones for £25-30 and if you check the charity shops you may well get one for £10.

Archived