Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first time seeing Saturn through a small scope

Karlos

Last night I saw Saturn through a small reflector 76mm that I borrowed from a friend. Being the first time I saw the planet with my very own eyes! At just 100x magnification (probably the limit of the scope) I was still amazed by its beauty.

But REALLY that feeling that is almost surreal to see it with your very own eyes, was easily one of the best experiences in my life, just can't wait to buy a telescope for myself that will suit my needs and allow me to capture these moments to share with friends, family and other enthusiasts!

All in all, I'm a very happy man (Extremely actually), can't wait till tonight, weather looks even better for tonights' observing!

:D

@RogerTheDodger

Absolutely, I'm so pleased as again last night skies were clear, also finding Saturn took literally 2 minutes so I am very pleased, just need a bigger scope to enjoy the full delights of Saturn :D

@Scarlet

Your comment made me laugh, like they say don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed, has become more apparent since starting star gazing in the great British weather! :)

@Scarlet

Your comment made me laugh, like they say don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed, has become more apparent since starting star gazing in the great British weather! :D

Hey - if we can't laugh at the weather - don't do this hobby !!

Last night the east was clear(ish), could see the main stars. So was having a bit of practice with Sirius & trying to track.

Waited out for a bit, trying get Saturn again, east / south completely covered - arghh !!

lol

The weather most certainly doesn't help, sometimes whilst manual tracking you wonder where the object disappeared to so quickly? Then the penny drops..... its the clouds moving in :D Not to mention the street lights mean even though Saturn has risen you must wait a few hours so you can actually see it. Oh well... it is worth it when you get to see what you were hunting! I've been tempted on many occasions to use my shed roof to get a little height on my observations... whether or not this would help is another matter :)

I also had a very nice moment seeing Saturn for the first time, but each time I see it - it is still a wonderful experience...I also see titan which appears as a companion star, even though it is the largest of saturn's moons...

I had a look last night at around 3 am after coming back from the club....Fine way to sober up...

Saturn is wonderful! I was a lad of 10 when I saw it for the first time. The parish Priest has a telescope (long 80mm refractor?) in his study, and I bugged him until he agreed to take a few of us out and show us the Moon. When we were done with the Moon, he said "Try this, boys!" And put Saturn in view.

I was hooked! Bugged my parents for a telescope for Christmas and promptly got in trouble for taking up on the roof of the apartment building. :) (To see Saturn from above the level of the streetlights, of course!)

It has been decades, and my love affair with this planet has yet to end.... it only gets better!

Dan

• 2 months later...

I just checked up on this old post Ad Astra, and saw it your brilliant reply felt I needed to answer :(

I can definately relate to your love affair with Saturn! I think for myself, I love that it is so obviously visible in the sky, but appears like a star, and even under just low magnifications it starts to show off that magnificiant ring system, something I imagine would really inspired the earliest of astronomers to realise there is a brilliant variety of objects in the night sky :eek:

Hope your parents no longer tell you off for climbing roofs :( Must say I've been rather tempted by this idea a few times before :):D

Saturn is always my first port of call before I really start into my viewing sessions. It helps me get into the evening, and I sometimes go back towards the end of the night.

It makes me smile how we all sit/stand out there at night, probably on our own or with occasional visits from a spouse if we are lucky, and we think we are the only person in the world doing what we are doing but in actuality there are probably hundreds or even thousands of other people looking at the same thing we are looking at right at that moment. Especially when viewing Saturn - I also tend to start and end the evening with it when it is on view, it is just such a guaranteed winner that it is hard to resist a peek!

• 2 weeks later...
It makes me smile how we all sit/stand out there at night, probably on our own or with occasional visits from a spouse if we are lucky, and we think we are the only person in the world doing what we are doing but in actuality there are probably hundreds or even thousands of other people looking at the same thing we are looking at right at that moment. Especially when viewing Saturn - I also tend to start and end the evening with it when it is on view, it is just such a guaranteed winner that it is hard to resist a peek!

So maybe we were all connected before the internet :)

By chance, when I first got my GOTO Celestron about a month ago, this was the very first object I started to align with and recognised it straight away.

I was asked during half term by a work colleague to take the scope to his house and show his wife and kids Saturn. They're looks of amazement and excitement were priceless.

His wife jokingly looked into the end of the telescope to see if I had hung a picture of Saturn in the end of it.:)

Skiddins

Archived