Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pentax XW Zoom

Has anyone got any experience using the Pentax XW Zoom eyepiece?

It looks like it is designed for the Pentax spotting scope range and indeed the magnifications for spotting scopes are included on the barrell along with the focal length in mm.

Just wondering if this is comparible with the quality of the XW fixed focal length eyepieces? Is this going to be better than the Baader Zoom or Pentax XF Zoom?

Cheers

I use the pentax XW ( well it's not marked exactly that way - but you know what I mean) It won out against all the other Zooms I tried -Baader, TV, no name etc

It's BIG, it's HEAVY...but I love it!

I use it for solar observing with the SM60 and sometimes for white light observing with a continuum filter fitted. To me it gives excellent performance I'm very please with it.

It's BIG, it's HEAVY...but I love it!

Indeed, here is a picture of it. A can of soup is there for reference.

The pentax is a excellent eyepiece. Sharp and very good contrast. Haven't had a chance to compare it with other premium eyepieces, but it performs much better than my plossls and X-cels

post-21986-133877554059_thumb.jpg

I hoped you will enjoy it.

I've just had a good night with mine at Kelling Heath. It's not perfect, but held its ground pretty well against my Vixen LVW 13mm. If I was actively looking for faults, the LVW would be better, but if I was just observing the Pentax was more than good enough. It was good enough at the 8mm end to make me question whether I still want an 8mm Radian.

Here's the new baby in the flesh

post-16557-133877558203_thumb.jpg

post-16557-133877558211_thumb.jpg

post-16557-133877558218_thumb.jpg

Size wise I wouldn't say it's much bigger than a Hyperion Zoom I used to own.

Can't wait for the rain, wind, clouds, clouds and more clouds to go away and give me a chance to test it out.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived