Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4 element Petzval Design

Has anyone had much experience with use of a 66mm Petzval lens design scope?. I wanted to know how well you could push magnification, clarity of contrast + how well it stacks up against a APO?.

Cheers

Rob

I must admit that i've never used one, but the way they have always been explained to me is that they are a well corrected achro that has a very flat field (for photography). The colour will depend on personal preference though and how much it anoys you. I must admit that i dont find colour a problem usually as i'm a purely visual observer.

When i bought my Zs66 i was advised that i was going to do any imaging then it would be worth spending the bit extra over the 66 Petzval.

I must say that after a couple of months using the Sd i am impressed with the views i have seen/imaged.

On a personal note the 2 speed focuser is luverly

Thanks for your replies. No Imaging here, just visual. I'd rather hoped the Petzval would win on basic planet viewing over the achro when cranking up the mags!. I know a 66mm is small for DSO, m42, globs & lunar I hope should be good though?.

bright stuff you might be ok, but it's very short focal length will probably let it down on planets, plus the magnification maximum is only about 120x

These small scopes excel at wide angle large FOV views

Oh, indeed Gordon... and its really for that as a primary reason!. Youjust dont get wide field with a C8. The bits would be a nice addition from a grab n go point of view.

Went for that one at £120 on Buy Sell but it had gone :wink:

Would have sat nicely on my tracker board for some nice 5minute exposures :rolleyes:

Tell me about it!. It was posted @ 1pm, I emailed Neil @ 1.05pm - SOLD :shock:

Great price though, not suprised it sold so quick!.

Just ordered a WO 66 petzval... yipee!.

I'm sure Russ told me I would need an extension tube to use my diagonal :insects1:. Has anyone found this or know what I will need for visual???.

Thanks

Rob

I as sit here typing ,My 66 is outside viewing a ickle Saturn.

You don't need a extended tube for visual if your using a diagonal.However if you are looking straight through (imaging for example) then you will need a extention tube

You can get a proper William Optics one here (scroll down to the bottom)

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=65&offset=10&offset=20&offset=30

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Got the scope... very nice :rolleyes:. It will not reach back focus with my Antares diagonal!!!. :?

I now need to get my hands on a cheap barlow to rip out the lens and use as an extender tube?.

:wink:

Rob,

What is even more annoying with the 66 is that neither will it reach focus with a WO 1.25” diagonal. I bought one of these thinking it wouldn’t be a problem as I was sure I had seen WO diagrams showing the 1.25” used with the Petzval. Fortunately, I had an old 2” WO refractor-style diagonal hanging around and with another purchase of a WO adapter thingy converted it into an SCT diagonal. At least now I can use 2” eyepieces and get some amazing wide-fields. Though your solution will work equally well. I think there was a piece in S&T a few months back alerting potential buyers to this problem.

Stan

Archived